New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Car with No Documents

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Default Car with No Documents

Has anyone or does anyone know how to get the proper documentation to title an undocumented vehicle? I recently purchased a Euro 111 coupe and getting the feeling there is no documentation for it. Is it possible to register the vehicle in the US? Where do I start?
Thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM

Each state has different requirements. Start at your local DMV.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:29 PM

For $5 your state DMV will have to do title search fist and they will give you contact on last legal owner of the car. He could write you bill of sale or file for lost title for you.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Default No Documents

I can't do a title search because it has never been registered in the US. Is it possible to do a European Title Search? Would anyone have any suggestion? Unfortunately, Massachusetts requires a title on the vehicle to register it, the DMV won't make a title for something that has never been registered in this country and has no importation documentation. Thanks for the responses.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Default Grey market importing

What year is it? Certain states only require a bill of sale for vehicles of a certain age. Georgia being one that I know for sure used to. I have registered a vehicle in Georgia with only a bill of sale. Once you have a valid registration document, from Georgia as an example, you should be able to then "move back" to MA and with the use of notaries etc, you should be able to then title it. It is a pain but it can be done. I think GA age requirement is 15 years old or more. Not sure as it has been a few years. I also have a friend that did the same thing in Mississippi. Welcome to the Grey market import club. If you know someone you can trust in a non title state they can register it as theirs with a 1 dollar bill of sale from you and then sell it back to you with a 1 dollar notarized bill of sale along with the new current registration. That should meet the requirements in most states. This is the method used by a lot of the online companies that charge a few hundred dollars to get a title issued for you. Good luck with it.