Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOT CAR BUT HELP!!!wife locked keys in car HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Default GOT CAR BUT HELP!!!wife locked keys in car HELP!

01' C320

Well this morning my wife called me to tell me she locked the doors, opened the trunk to get something, set down the keys in the trunk and then closed the trunk.
Well I called around to the locksmiths and they said they can't get into the car without disabling the car. So I call Atlanta Classic cars(Mercedes Dealer) and got their locksmith guy to come out. He unlocked the door and set off the alarm and disabled the car, just as he said he WOULD NOT do. He then proceeded to unhook the battery to attempt to open the trunk. Still no joy. He specifically told me that he knew how to unlock the car and NOT disable the car. Now the car is disabled and also I am sure I will have a check engine light on after he gets it back working cause he unhooked the battery.

What do you think? I am thinking Atlanta Classic cars is gonna have to fix the CEL once he is done cause it's their Locksmith.

I am already steamed it cost $150 for him to open a door, now he's jacked up my car.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Default RE: wife locked keys in car HELP!

Update: The locksmith cannot get into the trunk where the keys are. [:@]He tried the unlock button on the dash and pressed the trunk button on the door. Nothing works at the moment.
He re-locked the car and now is going to another city to work on another car. He will come back and try it again after the computer resets(so he says). He said otherwise we will have to get our registration and get a blank mechanical key to open the trunk and then get the keys and then figure out why the trunk will not open on it's own.
I don't understand why the trunk won't open when it was working fine before he pulled the battery terminal and the fuse off.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Next time
1-Use your Spare Back up key
2-Call Mercedes Benz of America National Hotline Number
They will remotely unlock it.

Car Locksmith services are fully reimbursed by your Insurance Agent.
Mine is State Farm and I did the exact same thing on my Porsche.
Except the car was running. [:@]

Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM

No back up key. Bought it from a used car dealer.
The dealer could only remote unlock the car if I was subscribed to a service that I wasn't aware existed until today. So I am ordering a spare key from Atlanta Classic Cars to open the trunk. I just pray it opens. $50 later I will have the key and hopefully it will be opened. the only thing that concerns me is the trunk not working and possibly the car being disabled now that he set off the alarms and unhooked the battery etc...

Old 02-08-2008, 03:20 PM

yea definatley shouldve called the mercedes benz hotline

Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM

I called them a few minutes ago. My car is too old to have Telaid and they said I am doing the best thing I can, by getting a new mechanical key and opening the trunk and getting my keys out. They said once I put the key fob back in the ignition everything should go back to normal.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:12 PM

That is correct. Good thing your getting a mechanical key but if you can scrape up the extra cash I'd say get another key fob. If you have an issue with one it can be varified by the other as either a key fob concern or a car problem. I always ask if there is a lock/unlock problem for the cliant to supply both keys if possible. Also may save yourself the cost of going to the dealer for diag.
Since the battery was disconnected.You will probably have an esp light on when you start the car. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times and this should go out it will store a code but no light will be on. Windows will not express up or downeither. You will feel two detents in the switch. Open the window with the first detent and hold the button about 5 seconds. do the same for up. Also the sunroof will not work. push the button up and hold it for 5-10 seconds. this relearns the hall effect sensors in the motors to know window position. during the learning process you may hear a faint click, this the the motor learning. Whenyou hear the click you know it's learned. If you aretone def like me you may have to listen real close or not hear it at all.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Since the battery was disconnected.You will probably have an esp light on when you start the car. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times and this should go out it will store a code but no light will be on. Windows will not express up or downeither. You will feel two detents in the switch. Open the window with the first detent and hold the button about 5 seconds. do the same for up. Also the sunroof will not work. push the button up and hold it for 5-10 seconds. this relearns the hall effect sensors in the motors to know window position. during the learning process you may hear a faint click, this the the motor learning. Whenyou hear the click you know it's learned. If you aretone def like me you may have to listen real close or not hear it at all.
ESP Light, I had read there would be a light come on when the battery is disconnected. Funny I mentioned it to the Benz Locksmith and he said there wouldn't be one. Anyways, you said to turn the wheel full turn both directions a few times until this light goes off. It will store a code, will this affect the car in any way?

Ok, I think I understand most of what you said, just not clear on the verbage used. Let me rephrase and see if I understand what you are saying. When I get the car started again, I realize some things will not work properly, You said the windows will not automatically go down or up as they have in the past so to correct this I need to push and hold the button down for 5 seconds or more after the window has gone down completely and then repeat with the push and hold for 5 seconds after the window goes up. This should correct the expresse window up/dn function. Does that sound correct? What do you mean by "detents" Also, will I need to do this will all 4 windows?

On the sunroof, I should push the button as if I was trying to close the sunroof or in other words push the switch towards the windshield for 5-10 seconds until I hear a faint click and then this function should work again as well.

Is there anything else I should be aware of since he reset the battery.

Also, I have a code scanner that I bought from AZ a while back. Should I connect it a erase any codes?

I appreciate your help great deal.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:08 AM

I found this in another thread, does this cover it accurately?
Here is a comprehensive list of all items that need (or may need) to be synchronized after loss of power (i.e., battery disconnect):

Synchronizing Head Restraints:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery
disconnected or empty), the head restraints are no
longer adjusted automatically. To resynchronize the adjustment feature, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move the seat completely forward and the head restraint fully down, and hold respective buttons for approximately two seconds.

Synchronizing power windows:

disconnected or low), the windows cannot be opened or
closed by the Express feature. To resynchronize the express feature, press <close> side of power window switch to resistance point until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window. The automatic full opening and closing procedure of the windows should now be restored.

Synchronizing sliding/pop-up roof:

disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and
hold for additional 1 second.

Synchronizing ESP:

disconnected or empty), the BAS/ESP malfunction
indicator lamp may be illuminated with the engine
running. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out.

Synchronizing remote control:

The remote control may have to be resynchronized, if
the vehicle cannot be locked or unlocked. To synchronize insert electronic key in steering lock.
The remote control should once again be operational.

[/align]

[/align]Take care & enjoy the ride,

[/align]JOE55

Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 AM

perfect. by detents you will notice there are two positions to the switch and feew slight resistance between the two. You want the switch before you go past the detent. (just regular up and down not express)

Quick Reply: GOT CAR BUT HELP!!!wife locked keys in car HELP!