New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Buying used Gl450

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 11:09 AM
Default Buying used Gl450

New member, Hello I知 Rick , I知 looking at buying a 2007 GL450 AWD , gas, with 232,000 miles. 2 owners. Asking $6700, Excellent condition Great maintenance record all done by MB dealer. Is this to many miles ? What is the longevity on these motors? What else should I be checking on it? Suspension, Steering leaking, transmission? I never owned one just doing my diligence on it. I know all you know a lot more than me about them. Thank you

Old 09-06-2022, 03:21 PM

Kelly Blue Book Value of that car shows around $2,000. But between the pandemic and the chip shortage one could probably get away with asking for $5,000.

Honestly, if all the maintenance was done properly and done by a dealership then the engine is probably in good shape. If you're religious about changing the oil and doing all the other services it could get you to 500,000 miles. Reasonable longevity.
The reality of these cars, however, is that despite getting this car at a seemingly good price, the maintenance is expensive. You have to service it every 10k miles or once a year, whatever comes first. I promise you, unless you are financially "well-to-do" it's not worth the purchase. Not one service on Mercedes-Benz vehicles are cheap, even if you are a DIY guy.

Perfect example: At 232,000 miles, I would wager that suspension components will need to be replaced sooner or later. And just in suspension work you will probably spend more money than what you spent buying the car. Even if you DIY, parts are expensive and typically only found at a MB Dealer. If you want to buy a Mercedes-Benz I would recommend buying one 2017 or newer. Some dealerships (like mine) will NOT work on cars older than 10 years, unless they sell you the car. If you're looking for a nice older car for a very convenient good price, a Mercedes-Benz is not one I would recommend. I constantly see customers who think they get a great deal on used Benz, only to have a full blown temper-tantrum inside the dealership when they are told how much they're being charged to change the oil. "Why is my oil change $150!? I could go to 5-Minute Oil Change and they'll charge me half that!" Because it's not a car. It's a luxury car. Everything about them is more expensive.

When I worked at Firestone for 3 years, we had lots of customers come in with their Mercedes-Benz complaining of a tire leak. Come to find out the rim is cracked; which out of 10 MB's coming in for a leaking tire, 7 times it was the rim not the tire. And of ALL cracked rims i've seen, nearly all of them were MB. That's not to say they're made poorly - not the case. It's that most MB vehicles have low-profile tires. With little sidewall, your rim has no protection when you hit speed bumps or pot holes. So knowing this, recognize the average price for a rim from MB is $1200 each.

Sorry for the tirade - just trying to educate the forum. These cars are engineered well, but NEED to be maintained. Good luck to you

Old 09-20-2022, 09:49 PM

hello