New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Buying new or slightly used....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Default Buying new or slightly used....?

My girlfriend wants to buy a Mercedes but she has to have a 6 cylinder. Therefore, I suggested that she buya 1-2 year old Mercedes because the 4 cylinder models are in her price range. Any suggestions that I could give her about what car to look for and prices...?

THANKS!

For auto related articles go to www.trader4less.com/blog.html

Old 03-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Default RE: Buying new or slightly used....?

Hi
According to my experience on my 2 times of purchase Benzs. There are many options:

1) C class 4-cylinder like C230 4 dr kompresor. 2004 or 2005. If you buy 2004, you may be able to save some money. Don't get C-320, C-240 since the price were almost closed to E-classes and their reliability were not improved yet

2 E- Class. You can buy between 2001-2002. Price range is between $25,000 to $35,000 based on mileage, condition and location. If buy near new, choose E320 between 2004 or 2005. don't get 2003 since the first year was always not good when the car class is first redesigned.

3) If buy new, I don't have much advise for you but buy used, you must need to see a CARFAX report for the car to be sure the car is from a original owner. No accident reported, orignal mlieage, no repainted and IMPORTANT IS NO ELECTRICAL SYSTEM DEFECTED since electrical system repair was highly cost in Mercedes Benz Automobiles.

4) After you get the right one you need, THE FINAL STEP IS BUYING EXTENDED WARRANTY if you purchase a used car. This will give you more security and money saving to avoid some costly repairs. To double check to be sure your emission condition of the car such as CATALYTIC CONVERTER IS STILL COVERED. MB COVERS THIS FOR 6 YEARS. I just have it replaced on my 2000 E320 for free since my E320 warranty is till covered unitl 7/2005. If your warranty expired and you have Catalytic Converter damaged, the cost is over $1,500.00 for replacing a new one.

I hope that these informations will help you some ideas about how to get a right car for your girl's friend. ALWAYS CONSIDER TO BUY A WARRANTY. You don't need extended warranty if you buy HONDA, LEXUS or ACURA because they are hard to break down except that you are unlucky to get a pre-owned with heavy ly abused owner. Good Luck and enjoy your new car.

Regards,
Joseph

Old 03-11-2005, 04:49 PM

My girlfriend bought a 2004 Maxima but doesnt like it. Other than it will be reliable for a long time she wanted the 260 hp from the v-6. I thought it was wierd driving a powerful front wheel drive car....squirrley! Now I have suggested that she get the Mercedes she likes and can afford but then there is that power problem she has...... quality over acceleration I'll take any day.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:13 PM

Nissan Maxima is a great car for working everyday 9-5 not for a romantic dating tool. So I understand why your girl's friend doesn't like it. Maxima is a good car but not a perfect one. Honda or Acura is better choice. However, Mercedes benz is another class and different classes providing different needs. Somebody just want a piece of mind and others want to really live in it. Like I am enjoy driving Mercedes because the State-Of-The -art Performance of this fine Automobile. So I have to pay for the price of my joyfulness. But again, if you can studey it in advance, you can enjoy it with no regret, no fear, no nightmare. Well prepare is always get waht you want. I expect my 2000 E320 for 5 years. I keep reading, checking, testing and collecting all information from this class before I decide to buy it last year. I got a good price with a perfect performance one. Some cosmetic wear due to pre-owned automobile but I have checked this car carefully with the full history provided by the Dealer. So far, the car doesn't have any electrical failure beside light bubs replacement with only $1.50/each ( I replaced so far 2 bulbs) and a broken Catalytic Converter has been replaced for FREE due to warranty covered by Mercedes Benz (6 year coverage for CC). ALL I CAN SAY, EVERYTHING HAS ITS OWN PRICE, THE CHOICE IS YOUR.

Joseph