New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Bought Dog Not Deal

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Default Bought Dog Not Deal

Hello All! I'm a newby poster, and I am glad to have bumped into you guys! And now that I have, I hope to glean as much as I can from you all. And in time, perhaps I can even be of some assistance as well.

I recently bought my 97 420 from an e-Bay auction. It was advertized as a vehicle in Excellent Condition with 158 on the clock. It was a private deal in that I did not use an Escrow Agent/Service. This was a big mistake! The vehicle cost 11K. When I drove up to get it, it was dark when I arrived. I paid for the vehicle upfront, doing all that my mom told me never to do...pay for something sight unseen. Well, as it turns out, the vehicle was anything but excellent. It fail the state inspection, the catalytic converters clogged up, no oil in the crankcase, oil dipstick was broken (with the dipstick handle/ring stuck in the dipstick tub). Imagine that! All four stock rims were bent, tires were unbalanced, steelbelts broken in all tires, car had SUV tires on it, front bumper held on by what I call a safety pin, vehicle had been spot painted, bunch of dings. Other than that, I guess I got a good deal, you think?

Since my purchase, I have made all of the necessary repairs to get this vehicle in good order. The last major thing I have to do is get a quality paint job. Perhaps I can be called crazy. But the truth of the matter is, I've always wanted a big body Mercedes Benz. Now that I have it, I am enjoying it, tremendously. I am not one to be impressed by mileage. I'm getting older now, and I'm not so concerned about vehicle mileage. But more concerned about functionality of the vehicle. These timeless vehicles. Sure there are quirks in every vehicle, and I mean every vehicle. But there is some about the Mercedes Benz folks, that just gets folk's attention!

There can be nothing more offensive then to see someone driving a big body Benz, and the person driving has on a T-Shirt, Blue Jeans, and a Golf Cap! Anyway, I'm now loving my Benz, and I'm look forward your posts. Thanks for allowing me the long wind. Trust me, I'm now exhausted. But did I get a Dog, or do I have a Deal?

Old 02-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Default RE: Bought Dog Not Deal

KBB says for a '97 S420 w/158K miles and "moderately" optioned (in my ZIP code)...

- poor condition = no value

- fair condition = $10,665

- excellent condition = $13,090

So, how did you do? I report, you decide.

... and Hey! What's wrong with wearing a T-shirt, jeans, and cap when driving an MB? What do you do, put on a coat and tie when you drive your car???

Old 02-03-2005, 11:04 AM

Not at all! I'm the one wearing the T-Shirt, Blue Jeans, and Golf Cap. And it seems to set folks aflame!!! Ha Ha Ha! I guess it displays a bit of arrogance in elegance. I don't know! Tehehe

I got the same response with the:

'95 740iL
'97 Cad. Catera
'93 Aerostar

Old 02-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

i think the previous owner have already filed for bankruptcy.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:23 PM

Errr, well, uh... in that case, carry on.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:42 PM

man....i want an s class!!![&o]

Old 02-07-2005, 01:27 AM

Thank you sir, will do....

Old 02-27-2005, 12:43 AM

a USED CAR is only as good as it owner----you are going to enjoy this vehicle once you have it back in shape. but if you are going to take it to a bodyshop have them check the front springs where the mount to the body-in some of the e class models they have rusted and actually broken off leaving vehicle stranded- better to know now and fix it if you are going to have the body work done.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:25 PM

Well, you got flogged on the deal, and may have rescued the PO from bankruptcy!!!! What they did to you was BAD, but...well, you COULD have been smarter yourself!!! I hope it's all coming together for you now, and you can restore it to beauty and functionality for less than a fortune. I give you a D- for your deal-making, but A+ for having such a positive attitude after finding out you've been flogged!!! Stick around; we may need you to use as an example.....