Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

So i hit a dog in my 06 c230

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Default So i hit a dog in my 06 c230

Lucky me I was in the middle of nowhere and I hit it hard enough to break my radiator. They used a flat bed to get the car back to town and to the insurances body shop. I am concerned about the type of paint Mercedes uses and the work that will be done to the car if it done by there shop. can you all offer me any pitfalls to watch out for! Thanks for any and all help!

Old 01-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Default RE: So i hit a dog in my 06 c230

One thing for sure is -- no matter how good your shop is, the paint will never be the same or as good as MB painted. Your body shop does not even know the brand and the chemistry of paint MB factory uses.

After the body work, your car's balance or weight distribution will never be the same as the way it was.

Also, there will be VSR(vibration, squeak, and rattle) after the parts are installed or re-assembled.

If headlights were ever disturbed, headlight aim will be messed up too. I have not seen one bodyshop tech who is capable of re-adjusting the headlight aim properly to the factory specs. (I have adjusted my headlight aim in many of the cars I owned and I know $10/hr body shop hobo has no brain to do this job.)

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

I'd have an MB dealership do all the work. IMHO. At least you will have recourse if something goes poorly. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:50 AM

Well a few good things is the only body damage was to the front lower air dam so it will just be replaced. The paint I am worried about, but the MB dealership here does not have a body shop but the shop the car is at does use MB certified paints, not sure exactly what that means though. I had three rock chips on my hood that I have no idea how I got so I'm not so sure MB paint is all that great if it chips so easy, so that will get painted as well. My insurance claims to have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee on work so I will be really picky about the work and let a few people look I over for me. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 PM

Once the factory paint is broken, that's it. You'll never have a factory paint job again. No one can do it, so don't expect it from this shop.

There are some very good body and paint shops around, though. If you're worried about this particular shop, ask to see some of their work and decide for yourself if they're up to repairing your paint.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:15 PM

Also, modern factory paint jobs use extremely thin coats of relatively soft paints. Everything is getting cheesier as time goes by and auto paints are no exception.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: fly_major_fly

One thing for sure is -- no matter how good your shop is, the paint will never be the same or as good as MB painted. Your body shop does not even know the brand and the chemistry of paint MB factory uses.

After the body work, your car's balance or weight distribution will never be the same as the way it was.

Also, there will be VSR(vibration, squeak, and rattle) after the parts are installed or re-assembled.

If headlights were ever disturbed, headlight aim will be messed up too. I have not seen one bodyshop tech who is capable of re-adjusting the headlight aim properly to the factory specs. (I have adjusted my headlight aim in many of the cars I owned and I know $10/hr body shop hobo has no brain to do this job.)

Best of luck to you.
You've either had some pretty bad luck or you have no idea what you are talking about. Your mbz dealer has recommended body shops, who can bring anything back to OEM quality. Not know the brand of paint they use? Are you kidding?

Nothing they could do would upset the balance or weight distribution that much unless you took it to a terrible shop and there was huge damage. Even with slightly off specs, nothing a quick corner balance at any reputable performance shop can fix...

It's not likely there will be any "VSR" or headlight aiming problems.

You need a hug! Or something!

Old 01-25-2006, 03:23 PM

Funny!

Old 01-28-2006, 12:05 AM

I am so proud Lug is with me on this one.

Why is Aziken offended? Logically...I figure Aziken must operate, work, or has some financial interest in some body shop. Chill dude.

I get kicks out of debating Lug, but not from kids.

(...i knew my vivid wording of "$10/hr body shop hobo" would bring some cheeeering audience..)

Old 01-28-2006, 12:37 AM

Well, to add to the debate... as tame as it is at this point... which is a good thing...

I thought everyone knew that paint manufacturers find it impossible to make two batches of paint exactly the same color? That's the crux of my argument.

Also, factories don't use human spray painters. Robots do some spraying and they dip large parts. It's a very controlled and consistent process. A body shop can't duplicate this process, as good as some are.

Quick Reply: So i hit a dog in my 06 c230