New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Air Suspension Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 01:59 PM
Default Air Suspension Gremlins

I am currently driving a 2011 M-B GL550, with 118k miles on the odometer. I has been one of the finest drivers I've ever owned (third M-B, seven BMWs earlier, plus assorted others, including five Cobras). I have had two previous M-B SUVs, both ML500s, the first had 305k on the odo when I parted with it, and the next one had 301k. Few problems with either. I am a professional "road-warrior," accumulating between 65-90,000 miles per year.

My present GL has developed an anomaly: the air suspension bleeds out on the right side, while the left remains stable. This occurred after the suspension compressor was replaced, beginning about two months after the repair. It has been checked for leaks in the part of the system replaced, but none were found. It seems prevalent mostly in the right rear.
When the problem began it would lower on the right when shutdown, but pump back up after starting and beginning to move. Now it doesn't pump back up as fast or as much.

While sitting at the wheel awaiting a technician to make an appointment, I began using the command center controls for the various suspension and driving settings. Low and behold, the right side pumped up, but after a while it began to bleed out on the right again.

Anyone have any input on air suspension problems?