New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Advice for new member (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Default Advice for new member (maybe)

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm strongly considering buying a 2006 ML 350. I drove the car and love the ride,
the looks, everything...

However, a lot of friends are suggesting that I shouldn't buy the car because Mercedes
had a poor reliability record, to wait another year for the kinks to work themselves out,
etc. It is also a big step for me because all my previous cars cost roughly half what
this one will cost.

I probably will purchase this car in the next 2-3 days, but any advice suggestions would
be helpful.

Also, any suggestions for what a reasonable $$ off MSRP is -- I'm near Philadelphia, PA,
if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice!

Bharat

Old 08-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Default RE: Advice for new member (maybe)

Mercedes does have reliability problems, pre 2000 cars are OK, the ML is entirely new for 06 as it was when it first came out and there were a bunch of quality and reliability issures, My neighbor has a 05 and the only problem has been a broken windshield, which she claims the dealer did and they woudn't fess up to breaking it. So is life. New model, completely new car. The 06 is much nicer looking then the former ML, but IMHO the first year for many new models is usually the worst. Except for the Mustang, hyundai Kia and a few others. So like anything else, Let the buyer beware. did you check out www.edmunds.com and there take on the new ML. I seldom believe what the car magazine say, as they have new models for a short period of time. You have to look at a magazine such as Automobile which has long term, at least a year to tell what your getting into. I do know the old style ML, are practically given away at dealerships. I am not saying Mercedes hasn't got it act together, but in case you do get one that is not up top par, prepare to spend a lot of time at the dealer.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:31 AM
Default RE: Advice for new member (maybe)

I have a first year ML320 and it's been AWESOME ! (knock on wood)

I am the second owner, I bought it (without a warranty) with 62K miles on it and I am EXTREMELY happy with it.
The only thing I've had to do (other than normal maintenance) was to clean my MAS Air-Flow Sensor once to pass the local emissions test and it does need new rear struts (which I'm going to fix here soon).

The new model looks sweet and from what I've seen has several refinements to it.

As far as reliability goes... The key word is SOME not ALL Mercedes have reliability issues. Which is the case with most newer Cars on the road. Newer cars have waaaayyyyy more bells and whistles, therefore there's waaaayyyy more things that can go wrong with them.

If you don't work on your own vehicle, get a good warranty and you shouldn't have to worry.

If you get a chance, go drive one around for a while, then compare it to what else is on the market and you'll more than likely find that the Benz is a great vehicle.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck