New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

'02 C240 won't start...electric gone haywire, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Default '02 C240 won't start...electric gone haywire, etc.

I have a 2002 C240 automatic with close to 100K miles. Yesterday I was in a rush and started the car and put it in reverse quickly. The car died. It seems to be a problem with the computer &/or electric.

The dash board display changes what it shows. It has said various things, like "visit workshop”, something about the DTR, even shows stuff like “178o+” or something for outside temperature. The dome light works intermittently and the door locks work with key sporadically.

I checked all the fuses they seem to be okay. The battery was low, and I charged it but that doesn’t start the car. I read somewhere about unconnecting the negative post of the battery, waiting and then reconnecting, but that didn't work. This morning when I went to try to start it again, the alarm went off and I had a hard time shutting it off. I only have one key so I can’t test another key.

What could be the problem? Is my only option to have it hooked up for diagnosis? greatly appreciate all help, ideas!