Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

SLK Sport Package Lower Grill

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Default SLK Sport Package Lower Grill

Problem: All three sections of my lower grill on my SLK are peeling. I don't want to repaint them or replace them with the MB standard. I want to make the front end look lighter and different from the rest of the SLK's.

Does anyone know of a website, vendor or fabricator that makes or sells a 1/2 inch mesh grill that could replace the 3 piece OEM lower grills? And no, galvanized chicken wire wasn't considered... ;o)

I've check several magazines, online stores, ebay and an authorized Lorinser dealer and it seems no one make anything like this for the SLK's. Any recommendations are appreciated!!! Thanks!

GT56E4

Old 08-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Default RE: SLK Sport Package Lower Grill

I am about to purchase some stainless welded wire with a 10mm square hole.
I am hoping to put it behind the lower centre section.

bazzle

Old 09-12-2005, 08:08 AM

I wanted the same thing and found the perfect replacement at work one day. I looked up and saw 1/2 inch grille covering the flourescent light fixtures. You can get the stuff at Lowes in white or chrome for just a few dollars and have enough left over to replace it 4 or 5 times if necessary. I bought white, painted it black and installed it in a couple of hours. The most time-consuming part is snipping it down to size, but a little patience prevails. I have put about 6 or 7k on the car since installing and have had no chips or breaks. I used a little of that 3M double-sided tape to install. It is removable but can handle my agressive driving just fine.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: dpwaters

I wanted the same thing and found the perfect replacement at work one day. I looked up and saw 1/2 inch grille covering the flourescent light fixtures. You can get the stuff at Lowes in white or chrome for just a few dollars and have enough left over to replace it 4 or 5 times if necessary. I bought white, painted it black and installed it in a couple of hours. The most time-consuming part is snipping it down to size, but a little patience prevails. I have put about 6 or 7k on the car since installing and have had no chips or breaks. I used a little of that 3M double-sided tape to install. It is removable but can handle my agressive driving just fine.
Have you got a Photo to post??

Bazzle

Old 11-11-2005, 01:55 AM

I found this online looking for grill and they do custom also.
http://www.racemeshgrilles.com/