Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

A fair dealership!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default A fair dealership!

Last week after months of putting up with my CE light off and on, I had my local MB dealership correct my car's woes.

They pulled codes and suspected the MAF sensor. I authorized further inspection which took another hour and a half. During that time I called around to other shops who quoted me as much as $650.00 to install a new sensor. The dealership service rep said his mechanic was checking voltages and inspecting related parts to elliminate other possible problems. My SLK 320 has 87000 miles on it.

I was waiting in the dealership lobby for the work. The rep came back with the results and sure enough the worst was true. He said They could do the swap out and have me back running in 15 minutes for about $550 total diagnosis and install parts and labor. I squeezed my check book and agreed.

In 33 minutes my car was retured to me, washed, vacuumed and with no idiot light. The total bill was $505.00. They charged me $293 for the part which is competitive with some of our sponsors prices and had me out door with a clean car, and a warrantee.

The dealer's name can be e-mailed to anyone who wants it.

I am not affiliated in any way. I just thought that everyone would like to hear that while I drive a great car, the services I get are also great.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Default RE: A fair dealership!

Is $505 fair? Might be in some situations.
I just had MAF sensor on my Volkswagen go bad. Pulled error code, what always gives you few things to check, but with known bad reliability records, the MAF was 98% suspect.
Dealer wanted $96 for pinpointing the problem, $160 for the potential replacement job and $180 for the sensor.
I ordered Bosh sensor on the net for $80 + $2.70 shipping.
Took 90 sec to replace. Total 3 minutes with fishing dropped screw.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:16 PM

Didn't wash my car duh!

Old 11-07-2005, 05:00 AM

I doubt if the Volkswagen part will work in the Benz.............

Bazzle

Old 11-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

The PART alone for my brother's Jag is near $1500. It's all relative.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: bazzle

I doubt if the Volkswagen part will work in the Benz.............

Bazzle

MB is using Bosh sensors, just like VW. Lot of VW owners, who had hard time to find sensor for 1.9 diesel, used sensors from 2-liter gasser with good (but not perfect) results. I believe lot of sensors are the same, but they come with differently shaped tubes. Those things are very primitive, but supposable using expensive materials. How much 1/100000 oz of platinum can cost?
It is relative. When dealer charge you $250 for 90 seconds job and you are happy, because they washed the car, that's your right to pay.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

They spent two hours diagnosing the problem, 90 seconds replacing what they found (listed as free on the work order, and 15 minutes cleaning the vehical. Also, the part was $5 less than any of our sponsers have it for , with no waiting. I agree, parts have amazing differences in price vehical to vehical, perhaps Robert Bosch makes many less Mercedes specialty parts, or they are higher in quality. You have to buy what fits and works for the application, Your VW part may fit a lot of vehicals, while the one for a 320 motor might be more rare.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:36 PM

I am not disputing the part cost here.
Even knowing, that those sensors are manufactured somewhere in Korea for $5 a piece, most of the time there isn't much we can do to bypass "dealers markup".
They took 2 hr to diagnose the problem? I spend about 20 minutes on Volkswagen Forum to figure out what was wrong with my car.
No offense Drew, but sounds like you just paid for their lessons.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:34 PM

Gee. Makes you want to go out and buy a VW, don't it?

Old 11-10-2005, 04:41 PM

VW dealers charge as much as MB dealers.
My situation might have something to do with a luck, or the fact, that VW owners seems to be more open-headed, than MB owners?

Quick Reply: A fair dealership!