Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Remote locking locks but does not unlock!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Default Remote locking locks but does not unlock!

I have a 1996 slk 230k. The first key worked fine but the second key would open/close the car but wouldn't start the car.

The car has just been serviced and at the same time I asked that the second key was looked at.

I have recieved the car back and now neither key will open the car using the remote button. I can use the key to manually open the door and manually open the boot. However, i can not open the lock for the petrol cap and the interior central locking button does not work either.

Once the car is open both keys will lock the car. If the button on the key is pressed again it appears the car tries to lock itself again rather than open the car. The remote key has only the one button on it for opening and closing.

The garage are now saying it's a possible pump problem. It seems more than a coincidence that the pump has failed at the same time they tried re-programming the spare key!!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Default RE: Remote locking locks but does not unlock!

Replace the PSE Pump. You diagnose yourself to death with that one, and it will still come up...replace the PSE Pump. That's your only option. It's time for the pump to go out anyways. You can send your current pump down to PROGRAMMA, and they will rebuild it for you for about $249.00.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:17 AM

Hi,

Hoiwever I'm a little confused by your symptoms.

Did the keys original work remotely or just manually in the door lock etc? Did the fuel flap have a problem before the garage tried to fix your problem.
If they worked remotely I would want to know exactly what the garage has done.

Unfortunately security on North American vehicles is different to Europe and being a 1996 model (earlier then mine) I'm surprised that your keys only have one button (are they OE keys?). 2000+ certainly have two.
However if the remote(s) worked OK before the garage did whatever they did the keys and DAS must HAVE BEEN working OK.

The fuel fuel (at least on 2000+ models) is locked pneumatically (as are the doors) from the PSE (Pneumatic Security equipment) located in the RHS of the boot (trunck) below the false floor (by jack/tools). If the doors lock/unlock OK pneumatically (ie NOT only with the key manually) so should the petrol flap.
The pneumatic feed to the fuel flap is the very same source as the doors although a different tube is used. So if the doors work(ed) OK then maybe the fuel flap tube has been trapped as a result of accident damage or similar. However if the doors and fuel flap are not working then maybe the pneumatic connect to the PSE has become detached? Eliminate this before suspecting the PSE.

It should be recognised that PSE units are prone to giving problems of this sort but the symptoms are usually linked with bulb warning, alarm and interior light faults. Do you have any strange behavior on these systems?

I remain concerned that you said the system tries to lock twice rather than lock/unlock.

Subject to clarification regarding whether the keys worked remotely in the first place (and likewise the fuel flap) it would appear that you have a PSE system problem and that the garage have somehow also upset the DAS coding.

Maybe you originally had one problem and they have now made it two!

Keep us informed,

Stuart

Old 09-16-2006, 05:50 AM

The two keys I have are the original Mercededs keys.

The central locking (which also unlocks the fuel flap) was working fine with both keys using the remote function. (i.e pressing the button) BEFORE the car went to the garage.

The ONLY problem I had before, was that the spare key would not start the car. The spare key still does not start the car and now neither keys will open the car remotely. When unlocking the car manually it does not open the central locking. I.e. only the drivers door opens.

I am loathe to start replacing pumps etc as it seems more than just a coincidence that the pump has stopped working at exactly the same time the garage tried to fix the starting problem with the second key.

All uk 1996 to 2000 slk's have the single button remote as far as I am aware.

I've scoured the all the forums I can find and have not found any simlar problems. There do seem to be a lot of electrical problems with MB. Is that soething to look forward to?

Thanks in advance
Ally

Old 09-16-2006, 07:00 AM

The central locking (which also unlocks the fuel flap) was working fine with both keys using the remote function. (i.e pressing the button) BEFORE the car went to the garage.....
Therefore the PSE must have been working OK at the point at which it went to the garage. Make this point to the garage. Main dealer?

The ONLY problem I had before, was that the spare key would not start the car. The spare key still does not start the car and now neither keys will open the car remotely..............
The keys have to be coded to the DriverActivationSystem. If one key works OK the DAS must be OK and therefore the other key is faulty, low battery or coding is incorrect.

When unlocking the car manually it does not open the central locking. I.e. only the drivers door opens......
Agreed. Central locking has not been fired. Fuel flap is part of central locking.

I am loathe to start replacing pumps etc as it seems more than just a coincidence that the pump has stopped working at exactly the same time the garage tried to fix the starting problem with the second key.......
I agree. Comes back to the point of which garage and what coding process they have used.(i.e. do they know what they are doing)

All uk 1996 to 2000 slk's have the single button remote as far as I am aware.......
So you are UK based? Just wanted to eliminate a possible red herring since my SLK is 2000+ and has two buttons.

So current diagnosis is that it is DAS/Key coding is the problem. Only your main dealer (or someone with the correct equipment) can do this.

There do seem to be a lot of electrical problems with MB. Is that soething to look forward to?.......
MB is no worse than any other makes with similar specification electronics. Unfortunately garages other than the main dealer are trained to understand, diagnose or resolve problems effectively. there strategy is to change components. Ubfortunately both Main dealer and shoot from the hip diagnosis can be VERY expensive.....Its the cost associated with ageing electronics.

HOWEVER, my 320 SLK 320 Auto and S class w220 both run fine at 100k+

Stuart

Old 09-17-2006, 05:57 PM

However, please keep in mind that when the PSE Pump starts to have trouble it will do all sorts of mysterious things, i.e., doors locking and unlocking while driving, lumbar support inflating and deflating on its own, will lock with the remote unit but won't unlock, will unlock but won't unlock, remote lights flash andyou can hear the pump response but not physical action, etc, etc.

The PSE Pump will do all kinds of strangeness, and the only notice it will give you is the strangeness that occurs. Now, you can spend all sorts of money to have your system checked, because it doesn't sound like what been stated could be the facts because of what seems not to be the case. But at the end of the day the mechanic will tell you that it's the PSE Pump which needs to be replaced or rebuilt, and that will be 50 to $100.00 for the diagnostic, please see the cashier on the way out.

The simple solution is to simply replace the PSE Pump. You can get one for $316.00. Or, you can send your old unit to PROGRAMMA and have it re-built (which I recommend), for $249.00. Your choice, but one or the other will need to happen.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:17 AM

Hi 97dmsrS420
I fully agree that the PSE can cause all sorts of weird problems.
The reson for this "strange' activity is that the PSE unit transmits down the Body CAN (as part of its function) and if it sends erroneous coded messages then receivers located elsewhere on the CAN will activate.
HOWEVER, 1996slk230k states that BOTH keys worked the central locking 100% with no strange behaviour other than one key wouldn't start the car.
Quote:
"....the central locking (which also unlocks the fuel flap) was working fine with both keys using the remote function. (i.e pressing the button) BEFORE the car went to the garage".
I therefore do not believe that it is appropriate to immediately change the PSE....unless you have a spare one handy or bigger pockets than I.

Question now is what did the dealer DO to totally change the symptoms.

The DAS and PSE systems are basically separate systems other than the CAN linkage.
It would have been interesting to determine whether the starting problem on key 2 was resolved by disconnecting the CAN to the PSE. If not then this would have confirmed that the PSE was not playing a part in this interesting problem.

What would help unravel the problem is the DTC's from the Body CAN. The garage should have these especially if they are now considering that it is the PSE.

I do not rule out the PSE. But I still maintain that the original symptoms were more conducive to a key2 DAS coding problem.
I wonder if we are talking about a main MB dealer (with Star diagnostics) or some round the corner garage?

Stuart

Old 09-18-2006, 12:19 PM

Well Stuart,

Having read the scenario again, it appears that there are two problems:

1.) There appears to be a key code problem. This problem tends to make me curious as to why the vehicle was in the shop to begin with, and in agreement with you, was it an authorized dealership or someone tucked up under the shade of trees? Somehow, it appears that the coding has been deleted, erase, changed, or something. Or perhaps the batteries need to be changed, or a new key simply need to be purchased and correctly coded.

2.) The PSE Pump has somehow lost its coding to the vehicle, or the vehicle computer is not recognizing the pump, or the pump simply needs to be replaced as originally stated.

This is all so strange, but one thing for sure is, something happened while at the repair facility that perhaps shouldn't have happened. And that is what I would surely want to know. Now, he may never really find out what "really" happened, but it's enough strangeness to certainly cause the repair shop to take responsibility for finding out and resolving the issue.

But again, why was the vehicle originally put in the shop? Was it an authorized MB Dealer? Can you talk with the Mechanic or Service Manager? This owner would do well to copy down some of the responses from this forum so as to be armed with the right questions, mindset, and motivation to present while making this or these inquiries.

Best of luck with this. I'd be interested to know what the final outcome was.

David

Old 09-19-2006, 03:40 AM

David,

I agree with your latest post. I'd also be down at this "garage" first thing to get some answers!!

My understanding is that this vehicle was originally taken to the garage to have the "Second Key Start Problem" rectified.

Although the PSE requires to be coded for functions like auto lock I would not have thought it was possible to "corrupt" the software so as to make the PSE non operational....unless there is a menu item that makes this possible...i.e. make PSE inoperative.

Just to demonstrate what surprises CAN be insore there is a menu item on the main engine computer....make CEL inoperative!!! I would have guessed that this is in contravention of emmissions systems design guidelines which require a CEL.

The garage could have done anything to the car. However as a WILD GUESS, especially since it is possible to check out so easily, I wonder whether the garage (or third party) disconnected / reconnected the pneumatic output pipes (Yellow) on the PSE? the post states the PSE makes a noise so it is receiving a signal on the CAN but what i don't know is whether is from one of the internal relays or the pump motor running. If it is the later then "no pipe connection" goes up the list of possible causes.

Stuart.