Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Door Locks Not Responding To Remote

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Default Door Locks Not Responding To Remote

Hello Benz Fans,

I would like to address SleepWalker with this question, but not exclusively, just in case he's not available.

Yesterday, I noticed that my central lock switch on the console was not working, and neither did the remote trunk switch work. When I got out of the car and used the remote control to lock the car I assumed it was locked only to find that upon returning to the car, it was still open. This alarmed me, because "what of the possibilities?" And then, I got that cash register sound going off in my head!

I came to this forum last night and attempted to research previous posts on the subject; I found some, but not specific to the characteristics of my situation. Needless to say, this morning, I went out and first checked the fuses in the engine compartment - they were all good. Then secondly, I checked the fuses in the trunk (pulling them one by one of course), and waiting a little between each so as to maybe allow for some time to reset (if there is such a thing).

After pulling the fuses, only to find that they were all good in the trunk; I got back in the cockpit, closed the doors and pushed the central lock button on the console, and they worked fine! And so did the trunk remote! So, I figured that all was well! But! When I got out of the car and used the remote, the lights on the door handles flashed, but there is not action with the locks! Why is this, what do I need to do?

And one more thing! Because I pulled all of the fuses to check them, now I need the radio code! How do I get this code or where do I get it from?

Your help is definitely needed and requested, and I look forward to it. Thanks

Best wishes with all that you endeavor to do

Old 07-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Default RE: Door Locks Not Responding To Remote

It seems like there was a problem with the S class having a line come off the pse pump under the right rear seat. Easy to fix. It also kept the lumber seat adjustment from working and the handle that pops out on the trunk. If this is the case pull out the back seat bottom, take the pse unit out of the foam, pry off the bottom panel and reattach the line. Unplug the electrical connectors and plug back in to reset. Then reassemble and check function.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:49 PM

Finally! Thank you! I'm glad someone responded! There is no lonelier feeling than to post, and no one responds. With all of this experience on this board someone's got to know something! Thanks to you!

Ok, here's the skinny... I checked the pse pump, and it's working fine, or atleast it's doing what it's supposed to do. And yes, I've pryed the belly plate from it, and big red hose is connected and there's no rips or tears in it. I put it back together and plugged it back in. The door locks work fine...from the inside. But still no action from the key remote. The lights flash, but still no lock action!

So, I have just disconnected the battery. We'll see what (if anything) that will do to correct this situation. If this doesn't correct the situation, I guess I'll just have to take it back to my MB Guy and have him check out my problem.

Thanks again for your response. The trunk is now acting kinda funky. It opens via the switch on the console, but when I close it, I've got to slam it, in order for it to catch. This is so weird. I'm gettting nausea just thinking about probable cost.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

was it a single button key?

does the windows closes whenever you point the key to the door handle and hold the button for 10 seconds?

did you initialize the key?

Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 PM

Yes, Sleepwalker, it's a single button key. And, no, the windows do not close if I hold the button down as it used to. I have disconnected the battery and still, the same thing is happening - no action from the remote.

Now, how am I supposed to initialize the key? According to my manual, I'm supposed to flash it in the eye of the center rearview mirror, but that didn't work! So, what else can be done? The key will only lock the driver door. When I turn the key to unlock, I can hear the pse pump, but the other doors will not unlock. When I lock the door manually, the other doors will not lock, neither do I hear the pse pump. When I turn the key to the unlock position twice, the trunk still opens, but are the only functions that I seem to be able to get from this thing.

So, come on, Sleepwalker, how do I fix this?

Old 07-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

your PSE pump got problem.

either you let the workshop confirm this problem, or just buy the pump directly and install it.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:02 AM

To LaterThatSameDay: I have a E320, '96 and got the same problem with the central locks. I searched the forum, found your reply here, checked below the seat - and the power cord going into the pump was loose.

Thanks a lot - this was fantastic and saved the day.

Cheers
PÃ¥l