Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Questions from the Noobie

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Default Questions from the Noobie

Hello all,
Guess I’m the Noobie here, (Hate that).
The wife and I have been driving brand X cars for years, (BMWs) the time has come for me to buy a new toy. I’m looking at the 04, SLK 32 AMG, S/C and the 06, BMW MZ4.
This car will spend most of its time in the garage, I drive a little Nissan P/U to work which spends most of its time in the airport parking-lot due to my job. The other preferred mode of A to B transport is motorcycles which I enjoy way too much. That leaves about 2-5K annual miles on the toy, reserved for weather of sunshine & 70s.
A couple questions for you regarding the SLK, I sat in a 03 SLK 320 the other day and the seats seemed really stiff. Do you find the seating uncomfortable after a couple hours?
Another question for you, automatic transmission, or manual? I enjoy automatics, is the MB auto up to the torque and power of the 350HP engine? Any history of transmission problems?
General advise? Anything you would have done different if you could??
Thanks for your help, I’m looking to make a purchase this summer, but no real hurry. The BMW Z4s are nice cars, but the market is flooded and it seems like I see one on every corner. The SLK has caught my eye although I have never owned a MB which is why I’m asking questions before I write the check. Any input is appreciated.
FB

Old 01-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Default RE: Questions from the Noobie

Can't tell you about the engine / transmission on an SLK32 as I have a SLK230 supercharged. The seats however are good and I have driven in them all day without any aches. Soft seats however give me a pain as there is little back and lumbar support. And it's a sports car not a lounge recliner on wheels.
There are quite a few SLK forums on the web and I haven't seen much in the way of transmission problems reported. Most issues are electrical and/or sensors throughout the engine and the pneumatic system. The diagnostic codes if accesed give very useful information on what is going on if there is a problem.
There is a recall on brake lights in the USAso if you buy one get that checked. The lights overheat and deform. Regrettably only the USA is having replacements even though we all suffer from this problem.
General advice is learn whatever you can about care and maintenance of the car. It is a beautiful drive but can get temperamental if not properly cared for. These forums are a great source of information, particularly one fellow Aussie called Bazzle.
Good luck with your purchase.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Default RE: Questions from the Noobie

Thanks for the reply OZTDS,
I figured when no one else chimed in that all my questions were answered. As for the tail lights, thanks for the advise.
I do use the forums for education, having BMWs I've been a forum reader for a long time. So much info from fellow members, It's a good thing.
I'm the type who does very little work on my cars, dealers get most of my work although I do change oil and filter between recommended intervals. When my cars end the warranty period I have a very good independant repair shop that only works on German autos, I trust him with diagnostics and repairs. He was the first person Iwent to about the SLK32, he told me he sees very few which is a good thing.
Thanks again,
FB