Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Looking for the god "Sleepwalker"

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:23 AM
Default Looking for the god "Sleepwalker"

Hi, sleepwalker or anyone else able to help.

Have a rattle which is bellow the shift **** and need to pull the centre console apart and require the part diagrams if possible?? Depending on the degree of difficulty i will do it or give it to my car dude

Also wondering how to remove the steering wheel without setting off the air bag as it squeecks when turning left, something is rubbing. any diagrams.

I have tried searching this and a few other forrums and couldn't find anything of value (was going to try and go off a c class and decided against just to make sure.

under 100kms on the car and she is falling apart i hope i can fix these small things and make it new again, (other things to do but thats for another day)

Old 12-19-2006, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Looking for the god "Sleepwalker"

lots of things to remove, so it's better you give it to some handyman.

diconnect the battery while removing the airbag.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:01 AM

yup I know there will be a bit just wondering if there is a diagram of the parts....

Old 12-20-2006, 06:35 AM

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sear...earchid=604029

Auto?? MAnual??

Update your avatat or sig [&:]

Undo base of **** 1/2 turn, pull off
Lift up chrome shifter surround.
Prise up flat panel trim...

Bazzle

Old 12-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

the diagram will be composed of at least 12 pages

posting it here will be a pain.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:27 PM

Yup its a 98 slk, auto.

Merc Dealership said there was no squeak and it was low on power steerinng fluid (which it wasn't but they didn't charge to "top it up" so thats ok) The squeak was still there as i drove out of the misserable place. only turning left. Iv read about using a spot of wd40 just under the airbag... watching any plastic parts. Just was sure if the airbags has a back up battery?

The rattle under teh gear changer is rev dependent (about 200 - 2500), under any gear it rattles, like loose bolt or washer sound. When holding the gear **** back (not to the left in fourth but down to rest on the plastic surround) it stop's but holding or removing teh surround doesn't do anything. When holding the gears back ie in 4th or third it still does it. I have removed the silver surround and then the cover plate (been carbon or wood look part) but the next peice doesn't look as removable.

On another note there is a large hollow banging over bumps behind the driver which teh dealership thought was teh rear shocky, but after I and a mate have removed it (works perfectly fine, no oil loss and only slightly slower then a brand new one) im thinking its in the roof mech as teh roof also randomly plays up.

These arn't major things right, im getting worried about nothing... i dont need a new car along the lines of a reliable toyota do I. Sorry having a lil rant [:@] Tis teh season!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:14 AM

The rattle under your shifter sounds like a missing shift bushing. There is a rubber bushing that connects
the shifter to the transmission shift rod linkage. To get to it you just have to crawl under your car and try to rattle the shift rod. If you hear the rattle then you know its the bushings thats missing. I would take it to the dealer. It can be a pain to put in. The part is about $2 and about half on hour for labor.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 AM

no worries will do

its due for a service shortly anyway. I will be taking it else where and see if the service is any better.

Thanks for the idea into it though at least it steers me in the right direction of price.