Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Have you experienced this? Grille/interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Default Have you experienced this? Grille/interior

Could not find anything via forum searches, which amazes me because I was told this is a common issue (obviously not).

'99 SLK 230, 160k

Two things:

1.) My red interior is slowly peeling away from the black plastic base (please see pic). This is occurring everywhere in the interior--and is fugly. I went to the dealership and spoke with the service/parts dept to find out options to fix. They were perplexed--had never heard of this happening. Recommended I go to a paint shop for crying out loud. Anyone else know of, or experience this? Not quite sure what to do. I have even considered having it (the red rubber coating) removed so it's all black. Ugh.

2.) The Mercedes emblem on the front of my car is peeling (please see pic). Is there an easier way to fix this than having the entire grille replaced? It looks like that is perhaps my only option after I took a closer look. Any thoughts?

Thanks much,

Sam

Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Default RE: Have you experienced this? Grille/interior

Many interior parts are painted so as to control colour matching.

Likewise Leather is treated with coatings to achieve the desired colour...Cows don't come in for instance RED!

Vynyl (plastic seating) MAY also be handled in a similar way but I'm surprised that it has a red layer over a black substrate.

You don't mention age etc of your vehicle. Is this original equipment or maybe someone has "painted" black seats to be red and the process used is not as good as used OE.

This sort of deterioration is usually down to UV Ultra Violet degradation especially in sunny climates.

Need pic to offer any further comment.

Stuart

Old 11-22-2007, 03:07 PM

I probably wasn't clear enough in my post, but the issue is not the leather, it's the console, dash, etc. The red rubber coating is coming off everywhere. There is a picture on my original post that shows what I am talking about.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:27 AM

Yes Its the paint coming off.

Solution. Replace components or strip and repaint using "appropriate" paint for whatever the substrate is most likely ABS.

Stuart

Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM

Hello

You can buy the paint to fix the trim look Here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...=paint+peeling

For the star look here http://www.formymercedes.com/contsp/...tegory=Grillesor ebay

Old 12-17-2007, 04:25 PM

I'M SUPPRISED THAT MB DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SINCE ITS A PROBLEM THAT IS VERY COMMON WITH THE SLK..
MY SLK HAD THE SAME PROBLEM I WENT AROUND TO PAINT SHOPS, LEATHER SHOPS UPHOLSTERY FIX IT SHOPS NO ONE COULD HELP...THE ONLY SOLUTION IS TO REPLACE IT.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 PM

I don't think it's that common, only happens on SLKs. There are several options and certainly repainting or touch up using the same materialis one way to go but it wil just peel again, that's been my experience.You can remove all the paint either by bead-blasting or chemically stripping it and you end up with a black console, and/or dash but once you do that it will never peel again. It does haveslightly more shinier surface butthe one I've seen that was bead blasted didn't seem as shiny, and in either case less shiney than people that armour-all their interiors.Also you can paint using a more modern interior dye, a body shop or upholstery place can do that for you. Also people have their console redone in carbon fiber or leather but that would cost a lot more.

What will MB do about it? Your problem is you kept the car past it's expiration date, 4 yrs, 50K miles. You wouldn't return milk that's past its expiration date back to the market and complain that it's sour? They will show you a nice new SLK350 that doesn't have that problem and offer to take the oldSLK off your hands for half of book value, afterall, who wants a car with a peeling interior. If MB had to make good on every little major defect in every car past warranty they would close up. These have never or are they now the most reliable cars available. They did recall the SLK for the faulty tail light issue, what, only took them9 years to do it, not to bad.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 AM

you don't buy an earlyslk for its interior. new for 40k plus, you're getting a great top and a great, fun little car to drive that gets great mileage.the interiors spray on vinylparts and the cheap plastic dash frame are my only complaints. all in all, for the money, not bad.