Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

going out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Default going out of warranty

My 2001 is going out of warranty next month. Dealer says I should purcahse
an extended warranty and if I give them some names they will help me choose.
They have already taken care of peeling console a few months ago, may have them finish rest of front area that seems to be peeling. No other problems I can see.
Have owned it two years.
Any problems with the mechanics of the convertible top feature I should be aware of or engine etc? thanks for any advice.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Default RE: going out of warranty

I own a 2000 SLK and my warranty was up in June 2004. Right before the warranty expired, the convertible motor failed. Since it was within the warranty period, I paid nothing. But the dealer warned me that if it wasn't, this would have been a $1,500 - $2,000+ repair job (dealer's cost).

I highly recommend an aftermarket warranty, unless you could get a starmark from the dealer at their cost. If not, search on the internet and do it carefully. Many of them have loop holes that you'll end up paying more for repairs - read the contract carefully and do your homework. You'll probably spend anywhere from $1,500 - $2,000 for a 4 year / 100,000 mile warranty with a $50 or $100 deductible. Just remember, nothing is cheap on a Mercedes repair ticket. Besides, it helps the resale and most plans can be cancelled early (without penalty) or transferred to new owners.

Hope this helps!

GT 56E4

Old 05-11-2005, 11:12 PM

Surprise surprise... I would like to withdraw my previous statement. I decided to go with an aftermarket warranty and thought it was pretty decent. But apparently, the dealer nor several reputable service stations WILL NOT ACCEPT their warranty. Based on my mechanic, he stated they would replace the item under warranty only if it was replaced with something used or stripped from another vehicle. This may be fine with some items, but not all. Also, if you do find a mechanic shop that does accept them, be careful with that shop... you may find out you'll be replacing things you really don't need to.

Bottom line... ONLY GET A STARMARK VEHICLE WARRANTY, anything else is at your own risk. Mercedes only accepts their own Starmark warranty.

If you find out something different, please advise. But I learned an expensive lesson.

GT56E4

Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=bustedsign.gif]