Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Console fell apart - price to expect for user or new replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Default Console fell apart - price to expect for user or new replacement?

Our SLK 230 has that classic problem of the paint looking like crap inside - peeling off, fading, etc. A guy's shop here actually takes the pieces all out and will strip them down and have them all black and put them back in. We give him the work to do but before he can started, the console, that was really beat up, just fell apart (according to the guy on the phone) when they tried to take it out. It basically was in such bad shape that he said it just crumbled (he said he never saw one that bad). Bottom line is what should I expect to pay for either a new console or used one to replace it. He said that used ones are actually tough to find for that car.

Thanks so much for any info. I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off when I'm quoted a price.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Default RE: Console fell apart - price to expect for user or new replacement?

Crumble! Really? I think not since this component is an ABS injection moulding not a soft touch urethane foam or similar component.
OK the plastic may have cracked in which case a hidden repair could be made from the hidden side using plastic repair techniques or even a fibreglass "sticking plaster".
I'd ask to see the parts. maybe you could photograph and post and then I could make some other suggestion or at least witness the sorry state of this part.
Incidentally the colour coat on the console (which gets scratched / rubbed / peels off) is only paint. This is common practice on many "trim" parts.
Basically just strip and repaint.

Stuart

Old 04-08-2008, 07:12 PM

Well, I went and saw the car today. It hadn't actually 'fallen apart' as my wife described it to me. It was just cracked badly in spots. The whole refinishing job to have everything stripped (including the door panels that are fading) and then resurfaced with some 'special' paint that doesn't fade, peel, etc. was going to cost 1200, but then another 400 for the console pieced that would need to be replaced bringing the total cost to 1600. Seemed a bit steep to me so I'm going to wait a bit and maybe see about doing something about the job myself (sucks because the car is probably only worth around 10-11K, assuming the inside wasn't messed up.) I'll look at some of the links explaining how to do the job myself and see if it's something I can tackle. (Any links or info in reply to this post appreciated of course as well.) Thanks.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM

The special paint isn't that special!
Its just a material that is intended for application to plastics with an appropriate low gloss finish.

Suggest you DIY if you are that way inclined.

Some of the paints can even be brushed on although spray will give the best finish.

1600USD outrageous.

Stuart