Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

blood, sweat, tears and brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 04:31 AM
Default blood, sweat, tears and brake lights

OK, there was no sweat... It's 15 degrees and I'm working outside... But there was blood and tears, and brake lights eventually.

On my way home today in my just-acquired and much beloved 98 SLK, my exterior light fault indicator came on and my heart sank. I had read about the recall, etc... Sure enough it was the right-side brake light (stop light). So I started pulling stuff apart to have a look. I had difficulty getting the bulb holder out, so I knew I was in trouble. I read all the posts on the subject first, then I took a good look at the bulb holder. It is baby blue (pre-recall, right?) It was a little burnt under one of the contacts... So I cleaned up the contacts and put it back in. No good. Then it occured to me that if the contact on the bulb holder is burnt, so is the spot where it was making contact at the time. So I bandaged up my gashed knuckle and cleaned those up as follows: I tore off a small piece of 200 grit sandpaper and duct taped it to the eraser end of a pencil. I roughed up the contact points in the tail light assembly (they're clearly visible and pretty easy to get to.) Then I used a q-tip to apply a little lubricant (the can says it improves conductivity) to the contact points, and replaced the bulb holder. Brake lights work fine now : )

However, I expect they'll melt down again sooner or later. I scoured the internet for bulb holders, and found nothing. Anybody know where I can find a pair without taking out a second mortgage? (I'm still a little sore from the $200 key.)

This is a great forum by the way, and thanks for all your replies to my initial post. Other than the brake light and a nagging srs light, my SLK is perfect... OK a few scuffs on the body but easily fixed. only 37,000 miles. Everything else works perfectly so far. I was afraid there must be something big wrong with it since I got it for $12,500. The carfax was clean other than one body inspection related to the aforementioned scuffs. You guys would know better than myself, did I get too good of a deal?

Old 12-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Default RE: blood, sweat, tears and brake lights

All you have to do is call 1-800-FOR-MERC and register the VIN and your name & address as the new owner and they will send you the taillight recall letter which any dealer in your area will honor for free. No sweat.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Default RE: blood, sweat, tears and brake lights

Great! Thanks!