Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

BAS/ASR Light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:04 AM
Default RE: BAS/ASR Light on

Jeff,
Balance of argument shifts slightly towards an intermittent speed sensor wire as suggested by Bazzle (possible damaged during a brake or suspension checkup/service or even dirt build up on the sensor.

However, the brake switch has two circuits. Adjustment looks OK because the Brake Circuit / Auto selector shift lock function works OK. However the second circuit which instructs the ABS,BAS,ESP,ASR etc circuits that the brakes are on could be faulty.

Biggest problem is that the problem is intermittent. Can you determine with any more accuracy what you are doing when the problem occurs. Turning maybe. If so turning left or right. Going over a bump maybe or just touching the brake pedal? trying to find the break in a sensor lead is not easy unless you replace them one by one until hopefully the problem goes....but it may not!

As I stated previously the ASR and BAS are linked systems dependent upon the nature of the problem.

Stuart

Old 12-22-2006, 10:43 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem as coolhuh. Is there a speedsensor on all four wheels or are they only located on the rear wheels?

Merry Christmas all!

Old 12-22-2006, 02:26 PM

I had a similiar problem with my SLK32. And, when the light was on the power was reduced *dramatically*! Basically, it was if if the supercharger wasn't, uh, supercharging...

According to the dealer after the warrenty fix, it was a bad steering sensor. After they serviced it, it happened again once or twice, and since then hasn't.

I tell you, it's pretty disappointing when one wants all the power the cars has, but the computer says no....

Kevin

Old 12-27-2006, 03:32 AM

interesting problem i havea 99 slk 5 speed std..and had this problem too..and when my light came on i could not use asr switch..i put my ob2 tool on to see if any faults would come up..put had none show up problem went away next day..worst kind of trouble that goes away by itself with out having done any thing to car...were do i find the asr sensor on the back tires or the front?

Old 12-27-2006, 03:57 AM

kent_m. Sensors on all 4 wheels. Possibly only one on the rear.

SLiK32. Think you may be referring to the CEL Check Engine Light. Power is limited if there is an engine malfunction in order to restrict "emmissions".

The big Yellow triangle in the middle of the speedo is the light that tells you that the ASR system is ACTUALLY in operating/working (In other words it has applied the brakes/reduced engine power in order to prevent the "skid" which you would otherwise be experiencing). i.e. If it comes on it means...You are accelerating too quickly for the conditions.
This light also comes on if the system is turned OFF in order to warn you that the electronics will not prevent a "skid" if you are heavy footed.
Some people misunderstand what the light means

Regular OBDII scanners will not access codes others than those pertaining to the engine/transmission. Most "low cost" scanners will usually only connect to the Engine Management module (computer). Not the ABS, ASR, SRS, EPS, BAS etc.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:59 PM

I know the way the srs system works ..what i don't know is where to find the sensor that may be loose or have a dirty connection...the BAS/ASR light that came on is on the side of the insurment panel..and when this was on the asr did not work and i couldn't turn it off..
so question here is where to find sensor to clean as problem has gone away byitself i figure some thing is either loose or dirty..or both.. cheers...

Old 12-30-2006, 03:24 AM

The front ABS (ASR) sensor is located on the back of the front hubs. Single Torx headed screw secures.
Don't confuse ABS wiring with the brake pad warning wiring which runs alongside.
Check wiring CAREFULLY for any damage back up to the plug in the engine bay.

Front sensors are more prone to brake dust. Just wipe off the tip of the sensor and refit.

Answer your question?
Stuart

Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 PM

Hi Tan,
I'm having the same issue with the ASR service light....My car seems to have full range of power but NO cruise control and I cannot turn off the system. I think the brake dust/gunk diag. is probably it...just need to find time to clean those sensors!
Let Me know what You do/find in Your case.
Thanks,
JR
'98 SLK 230

Old 01-13-2007, 05:53 AM

ORIGINAL: coolhuh

snanceki,
My brake lights work.
I have an automatic and it comes out of park.

Would the speed sensor be the cause of the BAS/ASR light. Are these seperate issues the BAS and ASR. They always come on at the same time.
Thanks,
Jeff
Also if tyres wear more than other end similar probs happen, sensors detect different rotational speed.

try 4 lbs more air at worn end to see if prob reduces.

Bazzle

Old 01-14-2007, 02:32 AM

Hi guys, Snanceki is spot on with his first reply to this post, the bas/asr are all conected and the problem with the lights staying on and no cruise control. Just replace the brakelight switch which is located at the top of the brake pedal just in behind the cover. 10 min job. I had the same problem with my merc and the brakelight switch sorted it.

Quick Reply: BAS/ASR Light on