Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

BAS \ESP I know I have tried

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Default BAS \ESP I know I have tried

Ok I have read some of the blogs and I have taken off the Brake sensor on the brake bracket and done all of that. the light will not go off and I need help. Bazzle you have said to turn the ign on and turn the wheel lock to lock? What does that mean? Sorry for posting this again I just hate not having cruise control.
Thanks all who help.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Default RE: BAS \ESP I know I have tried

Not sure what your problem is.

Your title says BAS/ESP but you refer to Cruise.
What about ASR?

After preliminary checks on fuses etc.

ESP/ASR malfunction is likely steering sensor lack of normalisation. With the ignition on turn your steering wheel from turning full left to full right and then again whilst stationary. This will calibrate/normalise the sensor and all should be OK.

CRUISE inoperative is most likely the Brake light switch/sensor. Adjustment or malfunction. Common problem. Replace. Do your brake lights and auto gear selector mechanism work as they should? i.e. Need to press brake pedal to get out of Park.

ESP + BAS + ASR + CRUISE malfunction together is most likely a speed signal error which most likely points to the wheel speed sensors. Mileage? Sensors can get dirty with brake dust etc but also vulnerable to damaged (wiring) during brake pad change etc.

Problem definition is the most important step in resolving any problem.

Stuart

Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 AM

Oooooook
This is what happened. I am driving down the highway and all of a sudden my cruise control went of and my ABS light went on and BAS/ESP lights came on. My back up lights work and I can drive the car. I just recently had different rims put on the car, so that might be the problem. I have turned the wheel to lock a couple of times and I have also checked the brake sensor. I hope this is enough info for u stuart.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:18 PM

Are your tyres the same diameter front to rear?? +/- 2% or so
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Bazzle

Old 10-09-2007, 03:25 PM

No, I replaced with the exact same size as the stock rims. I didnt even change the tires.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 AM

Hi,

You haven't confirmed that the brake lights are working. You just said the back up lights were. However this is only required as supporting info and is not crucial.

How did you check the brake light switch. You referred to it as a sensor.

This switch has two circuits. One Normally Open and One Normally Closed. Cruise works on the NC circuit. Brake lights on the NO circuit.

Pretty sure that either the switch...or its adjustment/fitting...is at fault since this is a common problem.

Bazzles comment re the wheel size is also important but you have exclude this potential cause. However it is strage that the fault occurred after this change event.
So what are the tyre sizes fitted to your car? Are you sure they are "stock"?

Stuart.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 AM

The brake lights are working. I checked the brake light switch with the two circuits. I didnt know what i was looking for, but I took it out cleaned it and put it back in. I took the stock rims off of my car and put the new rims in the same tires as the stock wheels were in. Thanks for all the help.

Dustin

Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: KansasSLK230

The brake lights are working. I checked the brake light switch with the two circuits. I didnt know what i was looking for, but I took it out cleaned it and put it back in. I took the stock rims off of my car and put the new rims in the same tires as the stock wheels were in. Thanks for all the help.

Dustin
Just checking, when you re-installed the brake light switch, did you pull the stem out completely before re-installing it? It is self adjusting and this step is required.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:38 AM

Yes. I took it all the way out and put it back in.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: KansasSLK230

Yes. I took it all the way out and put it back in.
OK, so you held the switch in your hand and grabbed the stem with your fingers and pulled it out until it stopped, then re-installed the switch?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1540/50C603D34EC74F4CB365FD8876699093.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1540/D1201BBE873E4A73BF4AC67EBC470770.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: BAS \ESP I know I have tried