Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

?? about SLK Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Default ?? about SLK Tail lights

Car = 2000 SLK-230
Hello,
My wife noticed this today as I was checking my brake lights,... and my tail light housingsare different,... the Drivers side says 186 "made in germany" with the benz logo in the center, the Passanger's side says 186200 "made in Germany with the MB logo on the very lower corner (near the bottom of the trunk lid)... this would not make a difference to be accept they actually make the turn signals look different. We just bought this car about a month ago, and I am still working the "bugs" out of it. Could someone PLEASE tell me what is going on here.... do I have 2 different year lamps or are they suppose to be different???

Maybe someone replaced one????

The reason I was checking the light in the 1st place was yesterday the "BAD LAMP" warning light came on in the dash while driving. It was daylight and I had NO parking or headlights on. SO, I concluded it was probably a brake light,.. but I started the car today to check them,.. and everything is working properly (as far as I can tell). Only ONE "rear fog" works > but as I understand it> only the drivers side is suppose to light up, Correct?

Also the "day parking" lights light up the LEFT side OR the RIGHT side... NOT BOTH AT ONCE>>> I don't understand this concept, but I am assuming because there are 2 setting on the switch, these are also functioning properly..?????

Thanks,
RZ

Old 10-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Default RE: ?? about SLK Tail lights

Hi,
At some point somebody must have changed one of your rear light clusters.
The "E" or "DOT" marking appears in 2 places. Centre lower rear facing edge and also on the side facing forward point.

The reason for this MAY BE that since there has been a problem with the brake lights on R170 SLK in America (recall posted) somebody has fitted a different, but possibly MB alternative unit. However check E/DOT markings are the same otherwise they are definitely not the same!. Refer to lots of posts about this. Likely the replacement was a "cheapy" from the Far East.
This problem also occurs in Europe and UK on AUTO versions where the stop light is used for relatively long periods in traffic.
The bulb gets hot and melts the housing slightly. The vehicle then goes over a bump or similar and the bulb holder moves and due to the heat damage does not make good contact and the warning light comes on. No problem with the bulb itself. Just the holder to cluster contact.
USA clusters have (I think Pink holders for the slightly larger USA stop lamp bulb) whereas the UK/Europe is grey /black/white. I can't quite remember which is the stop light.
There is no recall in Europe/UK however much you push MBUK!!!

The High Intensity Fog light is only on one side of the vehicle.
This is on the RHS (Drivers side) in the UK. Ideally it should be on the LHS for USA/Europe but I'm not 100% that it does in fact change sides. Only one so that it can be distinguished from Stop lights.
Handed so that the "width" from the kerb can be established with only one lamp. Some people think it is a cost saving but it isn't.

The Parking lights also use this principle. In UK (and Europe?) it is necessary to leave lights on a car if parked on the highway at night (outside 30mph limit areas).
This can cause the battery to drain if left on regularly for lengthy overnight periods so the Parking light idea meets the minimum lighting requirements (i.e. offside = drivers side only need be illuminated) and turns of all the instrument lighting i.e. Power saving mode. etc. i.e. No flat battery in the morning.

Hope that helps.

Stuart

Old 10-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Pre 2000 and post 2000 have a different clarity to the reverse lens.
One was probably changed when the holder went south.
In USA free recall to replace light housings.
Rest of the world, nope.
I fixed heating prob by hard wiring sockets to pcb.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/

Bazzle

Old 12-02-2007, 12:39 PM

i have a 1999 slk 230 and recently i found out on Edmunds.com that there was a recall on the rear light assembly. i took the car to the MB dealer and they replaced both lights for free plus a free car wash.

maybe this helps.

armando

Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 AM

The High Intensity Fog light is only on one side of the vehicle.
This is on the RHS (Drivers side) in the UK. Ideally it should be on the LHS for USA/Europe but I'm not 100% that it does in fact change sides. Only one so that it can be distinguished from Stop lights.
Handed so that the "width" from the kerb can be established with only one lamp. Some people think it is a cost saving but it isn't.

In the us the rear fog light is in fact on the left side.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:58 AM

For what ir's worth...and the STOP light bulbs are also different DOT vs EII (Pink vs Black bulb holders)