Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

SRS System Replacement

Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Default SRS System Replacement

Hi guys, I hope everybody is doing well and happy holidays.

I am in the process of replacingthe driver side airbag system in my 99 SLK 230. I bought this car as a fixer upper after being in an accidentand have made some significant process. Next step is to replace the SRS system as the driver side airbag has been deployed fromthe accident. So far I installed a new steering column and have a new driver's side air bag component. What Ineed to find out is what other parts will I need to make the system functional. From what I understand, I believe I will need some sensors as the original sensors are shot from the accident. I have a shop that can do the install so I don't get raped by the dealerships. Just need to know what parts I need. (Of course part numbers would be greatly appreciated). Thank you in advance for your help.

Robert

Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 AM
Default RE: SRS System Replacement

www.alldata.com can help, especially withwhat the cost of a job should be. Don't rule out a Mercedes dealers for service. Independent shops can cost you a lot more because they sometimes don't have the proper equipment to diagnose problems. I can tell you horror stories both ways. but generally, thinking I could save money by going to an independent was extremely wrong. However if you live in Oregon, I know a good shop called Metric Motorworks in Coos Bay, they arevery good. It's the first place I've been to that I feel I got what I paid for. The Mercedes of Wilsonville is pretty good too. If you want OEM parts call them, ask for Sam, tell himBob from brookings said you would give the best dealer part prices around. If you've never had a slk before, they are a fun car to drive. Interiors are a little cheap. Seats I thought are very comfy. be careful when you put the dash back together. the dash frame plastic isvery brittle. If you don't have washers backing the screws when you took the dash apart, use them when put her back together. Trust me. Good luck on restore and the srs. The slk is not a sl, but they are a great car with great mileage and are dependable, havea blast.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM

Brookings. Thank you so much for your help. I might try your guys. Wondering if they ship parts, I live in Detroit. I'll keep you updated on what I come up with.

I welcome any other thoughts. Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM

Anybody have any other thoughts regarding this topic? Please let me know.