Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

2000 SLK230 Windows Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Default 2000 SLK230 Windows Questions

Hi Folks,
I have a question for all you SLK owners/operators/mechanics....... Our 2000 SLK230 Door windows go up and down fine. Problem is when you open the door, the window does not lower itself... therefore, when you shut the door, the window is too high andstays to the outside of the seal leaving a leaking gap and a scar on the metal above the front corner.
Question: Is there a specific fuse/relay/sensor that tells the window tolower slightly when the door is opened ??? OR is there a height limiting adjustment?
We just got this car and I am trying to work some of the bugs out of it. You MIGHT get tired and answering my posts.
This is our 1st Benz and we are looking forward to happy motoring.
Thanks.
Ron

Old 09-13-2007, 02:01 AM
Default RE: 2000 SLK230 Windows Questions

Hi,

Windows are not designed to drop a little bit when door is open. Would have been a good idea however since door window up / down shut loads are so different.

Your problem is therefore the adjustment of the glass runners and lifting mechanism since the class should not be coming up on the outside of the body metal finisher.

Not 100% sure of the up travel limiting mechanism but I suspect this is part mechanical and possibly part electrical.

However when the doors are open there is nothing for the glass to "push" against to give a current rise signature so full travel must be determined by something mechanical within the door. The glass should only come up as far as is required to give a continuous sweep with the top of the cheater (mirror) panel.

Let us know what you find within the door. (Take usual precautions with the airbag.)

Stuart.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:04 AM

Hi,

Windows are not designed to drop a little bit when door is open. Would have been a good idea however since door window up / down shut loads are so different.

Your problem is therefore the adjustment of the glass runners and lifting mechanism since the class should not be coming up on the outside of the body metal finisher.

Not 100% sure of the up travel limiting mechanism but I suspect this is part mechanical and possibly part electrical.

However when the doors are open there is nothing for the glass to "push" against to give a current rise signature so full travel must be determined by something mechanical within the door. The glass should only come up as far as is required to give a continuous sweep with the top of the cheater (mirror) panel.

Let us know what you find within the door. (Take usual precautions with the airbag.)

Stuart.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:56 PM

Does anyone know where/how the window adjustment is done? Thanks
Ron

Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 PM

Behind (i.e. after removing) the door casing and plastic watershedder.

Removal of the casing is straightforward (similarto most makes of vehicle) but removing the insert from the hockey stick door pull can be tricky without the correct wedge prise tool. This needs to be removed to gain access to one of the key securing screws. Another is behind the SRS logo. Just prise the logo out.

Stuart.