Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

2000 slk230, Please advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Default RE: 2000 slk230, Please advice

ORIGINAL: mbz300sdl
Sounds like one place has already cheated u out of money now a second is about too. Go to an independent shop that is not at a dealership that specializes in German cars. Or if Sleepwalker or one of our other techs are around maybe they can help you.
I agree with mbz the cheated on you...

Sorry to hear about your car gagamba. IMO, the dealership where you purchased your car is not telling you the truth about the current conditions aboutthe car they sold you, dealer like this they will always tell you it’s fine and no problem for them to avoid cost on the parts andrepairs. I would suggest that they should fix the problems ASAP based on the findings of MB dealership at their cost.

These are OBDII codes reading from your car (P0170, P1420, P1236, P1235, and P1525) and if you want to know the meaning of these codes you can go to this link http://smogcarsuck.tripod.com/id45.html basically it’s going to deciper these codes just like what the MB dealer did and they are correct.

Again, have the dealer (place you get your car from) fix it for you at their cost, for now no need to call your lawyer but if they give you a BS again, file a complaint on BBB and call your lawyer.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
JOE55

Old 07-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Gentlemen,
It's been a while you did not hear from me. Thank you very much for all your reply. I have been busy at work up to now. I am tring to enjoy my ride for the summer even though CHECK ENGINE is still on. Any how God is good. I managed to know a mechanic that work for MB Dealership through my work. He's helping me with my car problems on the side. "MAF" has to be replaced , we tested it with the new one, and boy lots of power. He also sugest that camshaft udjuster really need to be replaced because of the noise he hear when he rev. it manually under the hood. I decided not to bother the Dealer where I bought the car because I'm not sure if they are really triyng to help me or anoy me till I get tired. I have taken the car there several times but still the same. I waste my time going back and fort to Toronto to have it fix. The thing is, I like the car, so I said to my self I'll just fix it on my expense. So today I bought my first part to be replaced. "MAF" at EBAY (Bosch) OEM parts for more than half the cost at MB Dealership. For the Camshaft Udjuster my mechanic friend will order it at MB with his 15% discount. Sleepwalker your very helpful, I wish you're my neighbor. mbz300sdl , I want to hear more from you. You are a proud owner of a 1999 SLK 230 if I'm not mistaken. Wish me luck guys. I hope when all this are done, I could now sleep easily. I will keep you all posted.
Regards,
Gagamba

Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM
NAZ

yes there is a fault with the cam shaft advance unit,due to ur fault codes,the fault is check the cam unit connector for any oil if you can see any oil,that means the oil has made its way to engine control unit,i ve done this sort of jobs before,erasing faults comes back on again,its oil contimination on ECU,THATS WHY THE DELEARS WANT $1500 LET ME HOW U GET ON................................................ ................................................ NAZ

Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Hi NAZ,
Yes there was a trace of oil when we open the cover of the camshaft udjuster magnet. Look like you and I have the same problem. Can you please rephrase the last part of your post, I did'nt quite understand.

Thanks,
Gagamba

Old 07-23-2007, 05:42 PM

mercedes tech here. i work in a dealership and have seen this problem twice on the 111 motor. What happens is the camshaft adjust solenoid leaks at the electircal connector. When that happens, oil will migrate into the engine wiring harness and set several fault codes for various sensors and modules. $1500 sounds reasonable, actually. There's an updated cable that is plugged inline with the new camshaft adjuster solenoid that supposedly prevents recurrance of the problem, but it is reasonable to expect to replace affected components like the mass air flow sensor, coolant temp sensor (located closest to the faulty solenoid). o2 sensor, the ME control module itself, and the engine wiring harness. The whole job took me a day and a half when i did it. If you want to confirm this for yourself, open the engine hood. look at the front of the motor. Covering the front of the motor is a plastic cover that can be a little tricky to remove. Look for a small tab on the front left where it hooks in, then sort of twist the cover to remove it, there are no screws or fasteners that hold it in. Good luck getting it back on, too. Anyway look under the cover and on the right side will be the cam solenoid advance the dealership is talking about. It is held in with three fasteners, and an electrical connector on the leftside of it. Check aroud the solenoid to see if theres and evidence of oil. Then unplug it and look inside the connector (look on the wire side of it). If you see an oily residue then the dealership was telling the truth. There is a service bulletin on this problem, you may be able to ask the dealership to print you a copy of it. Also a simple thing to check is the mass air flow connector, using the same methods inspecting for oil as on the cam solenoid. The mass air flow is on the right side of the engine and is easily accessable. IF you find oil there ( you probaly will-these cars are predictable) expect to pay big bucks to fix it. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:42 PM

Thanks Tech 516 and All,
Anyhow, today my car is now free from Check Engine (CE) light. Well It cost me $950.00 for the Camshaft Udjuster, $230 for MAF and $250.00 for the Mechanic. The Camshaft Udjuster, I have to buy it at the MB dealership, no where sell it but MB dealership. The MAF I bought it at Ebay (autolampsplus). My grand total is $1430.00. The car runs like a charm and sounds like a whistle now. I hope not to see the (CE) light for a long time.
Thanks for all the people that send pointers and ideas on how to fix things. Like changing tiny light bulb at the dash board panel, leaking Windshield washer bottle etc.
I am looking also for a Front bumper grille for this particular car (2000 SLK 230). I did not realize that this part was missing not until I saw onother 2000 SLK 230.Any information where can I get it at a reasonable price I will be appriciated .
I'm triying to upload picture of my car here, for you guys to see it. I cannot, saying the file is too large. Is there a trick how to do it.

Thanks,
Gagamba (Spider)[sm=bling.gif]

Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 PM

Hello Sleepwalker,

I e-mail you two weeks ago, but I did not receive any reply. The car is running fine it's just this (CE) Check Engine comes back. The fault is now (P0370 Angle deviation between camshaft and crankshaft Angle deviation between camshaft and crankshaft). I know that we follow the instruction that the mechanic gets from the MB dealership. As a matter of fact there are 3 faults: P0370, P1235,and P1525. When K40 was fix, P1235, and P1525 did not come back anymore. I have been monitoring the car, every time CE lights comes on with my OBDE reader it's always P0370. Except today, there were two: P0370 and P1525. I'm getting dissapointed already.

Regards,
Gagamba

Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Sleepwalker,
Are you still around? I want to hear from you.

Gagamba

Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 AM

Gagamba

Please tell us again what you have replaced with new
Step by step

Thanks Bazzle

Old 09-07-2007, 02:03 PM

Gagamba,
I am confused.. after you fixed P0170,1420,1236,1235,1525.. Car ran great and your world was perfect.. Then you got C.E.L. and P0370 and P1525 came up?? Is that right and correct order?? Did you look at tech-fivesixteen's post here on the oil migration issue coming from the cam adj. Sol. connector?? I think you could inspect that yourself.. That oil migration, which many think is not that plausible, is a real animal.
I can't remember if this is the correct linkI picked up here on M.B. connectors? It was a dayumm good one. I will post link but not sure if this is it or not? If anyone remembers seeing that companies site will ya post it again.
http://terminalsupplyco.com/
I strip wiresif splice is necessary, wrap, solder and use what I call shrink tube to seal splice. I am sure others may have better fix or know where to get entire loom/connector wiringback to its connection point.
Dumokie...........

Quick Reply: 2000 slk230, Please advice