Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Windows won't roll up

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Default Windows won't roll up

Howdie from Atlanta Georgia.I am aproud new owner of a beautiful 1996 SL500. During the past monthI have owned it,I have had to replace some of the rear cylinders.I have become the quickest 'manual soft top' raiser(is this even a word?) in the south! [/align]My question is that I can not figure out how to re-synchronize the windows and they will not go up when the soft top is up? Can someone please explain how to do this? Once again, keep in mind that I am blonde [/align]Thanks so much![/align]Laura[/align]

Old 06-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Default RE: Windows won't roll up

try putting down your soft top into it's compartment, keep doors closed. then roll up your windows and hold down on the switches for an extra 6 seconds after they reach the top.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 AM

Thanks! I tried this after I went through the manual. I believe we have to manually put down the soft top because we manually had the top up and down when we replaced the cylinders and I think everything is all out wack.Will dig out the oletool and manually lower the top andtry the 6seconds as you suggested. Thanks again!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 PM

If you put the top down manually take the key out of the ignition. Ifthe windowsdo decide to start workingbut still aren't guite right, then resynchronize by holding down on the switches with the top up.... Does the top do anything?I don't which cylinders were replaced, but left bowcylinder has a micro-switch holder that is easily damage during install, that can cause problems.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:34 AM

well so far nothing has worked. When the soft top comes up the windows go slightly up, then stop then go back down. With the soft top down, the windows go up and down just fine. We have tried putting the top up manually and synching the windows - we tried putting the top down manually and nothing works!

Old 06-28-2008, 01:39 PM

Hi Laura.

As an owner of three benz's [one SL], there is one thing I have learned when these very tricky things come up.

Go to your nearest Benz dealer and talk to the service manager. One of their mechanics will specialize in the convertable tops. Several things should/could happen, first they may have a very simple solution that they could just explain to you, second, they may have a sevice notice they will share with you, or, about an hour of billable timemay do....if you use them get a good idea of the estimated time [no surprisesfrom them]. If too long you may have to hope someone though this Forum has an answer. I don't.
Conclusion, sometimes the experts have the quickest and cheapest answer.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:29 PM

SEND PM AND WE CAN GET YOU FIXED UP QUICK.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 PM

It's justa guess, but I think the window problem has to do with the window sensors that are part of the motor assembly.

I would also post this problem over at www.mercedesshop.com in the Tech Helpforum not the SL forum. Several of the regular contributors there are technicians, and one or two of them work in Atlanta.

When you get this problem solved be sure to reply back with the solution you found.