Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Dead Battery !

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Default Dead Battery !

Hi:
The battery in my 97 SL500 went dead. I charged it now my driver's window will not lower when I open the door.
Does anybody kbnow how to cure this problem?
Thanks!
Mac

Old 06-24-2008, 03:22 AM
Default RE: Dead Battery !

try puttingyour top in it's full down position, (lock it init's compartment) manually if it won't go down on it's own. then push and hold down on the window switches for an extra 6 seconds after the windowsreach the full up position. BTW batteries can't takebeing drained, it will ruin them pretty easy and if you pull the ground for storage you may have to gothrough this synchronizationprocedure again and reset your clock. however it's better than replacing the battery.if stored for any lengthtimerecharge the battery or test it before hookingit back up again, just in case. low voltage is not good for anything.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 PM

THE TOP SHOULD BE IN THE UP POSITION WHEN YOU SYNCHRONIZE THE WINDOWS NOT DOWN. ROLL THE WINDOWS ALL THE WAY UP WITH THE DOOR CLOSED. HOLD THE WINDOW SWITCH UP WHEN IT IS ALL THE WAY UP FOR AN EXTRA 2-3 SECONDS.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:30 AM

I agree that the standard procedure should be the best way to go. I have had an on going fight withmy top for a while and has been a real experience. It's still up for grabs if I've leaned anything.....Sometimes these systems are fickle... well,I got my controller back for the second time and the top has been working flawlessly so far, keeping my fingers crossed.If the normal way of synchronization won't work, try doing it with the top down. This top down synchronization is normally used for replacing theold controller up to 96 with anupdated controller only,etc or so I thought. Even with my top working good now, I couldn't getthe topand windows to synchronize with the top up. Go figure. [&:]sotried it with the top down and presto. so Itcan't hurt if it won't work anyway with the top up or if you can't get the windows to roll up with the top up. why not try it?well then I found my instructions to my two week old rebuilt controller and if I read it the first place, butthought I was so smart, everybody knows you have the topup to synchronize the top. well, I'll send you a copy of the instructions, if you want proof,but according to them you manually putthe top into it's compartment first with the key out of the ignition, etc,etc. Hey,this may only apply to this scenario. but the long and the short of it is, READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS, savesyou plenty of grief I still won't rule out puttingthe top up either, If it won't work down, why not try it with it up?BBA re-manufacturingalso say to hold down on the switches for 5 seconds.I added an extra second to make sure one holds down on it long enough, over kill.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:29 PM

The windows can be synchronized with the top in any postion...

Old 06-30-2008, 01:27 AM

thanks for the clarification. You are the final word. with your previous help, I think I finally got it working good.