Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Dead Battery Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Default Dead Battery Advice

94 SL500--If I do not drive the car for 4-5+ days the battery becomes too drawn down to start. I have replaced the battery and the charging system has been checked out --all are fine. My mechanic states no shorts or excess electrical draws exist. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As with my past posts, I receive excellent replies. Thank you all in advance.

Oh, I know it is a sin to not drive the car for that period of time but when I am with my family of 5, we do not seem to fit in the car....

Old 08-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Dead Battery Advice

how much electrical draw does the technician measure on your car? (in amperes).

Old 08-16-2005, 01:09 AM

Our cars can sit for 5 weeks and will start with no problem, even with original 7-years old batteries.
One easy way to deal with your problem is to spend 7 buck on one of those
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292

Old 08-17-2005, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: sbeemish

94 SL500--If I do not drive the car for 4-5+ days the battery becomes too drawn down to start. I have replaced the battery and the charging system has been checked out --all are fine. My mechanic states no shorts or excess electrical draws exist. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As with my past posts, I receive excellent replies. Thank you all in advance.

Oh, I know it is a sin to not drive the car for that period of time but when I am with my family of 5, we do not seem to fit in the car....
Something is wrong. I have a '92 SL and I have left it for weeks without using it and it never fails to start.

If it persists you can buy a little switch that fits between one of the battery's points and the cable....this allows you to disconnect the battery in a second. I do this on long trips (3+ months).

Old 09-06-2005, 10:15 PM

Mechanic says pulling 400+ma
He says that is too high. Suggests that the radio, top, seats or alarm may be the culprit and suggests we begin looking there. Any suggestions from the forum? I know the computer etc pulls some draw but not that much.
My first guess is the radio...I had same replaced a little while ago due to some other problem and that may be a weak spot.
Suggestions?

Old 09-06-2005, 10:32 PM

Did your mechanic pulled the fuses out at measured the draw on each circuit?
That takes about 2 minutes and will answer your question. Or at least narrow it down.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

400+ma
too high. 100 milliamperes is at least acceptable.

try removing the fuse of every components one by one till the current go down and you will find out the source.

keep the ammeter in series connection with the battery while doing it and observe.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:52 AM

I shall communicate your suggestions to the mechanic and see what is uncovered. Thank you. I shall report back.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:00 AM

I am pulling between 270 to 400 ma when the car and alarm are off. The lower number is after the car sits for several minutes. I am told that is normal (to reduce). 270 is still high. Each and every fuse have been pulled and the figure does not really change. I have had the entire audio system checked and that is fine. The mechanic believes that some component is tapped directly into the wiring and pulling the juice. His next step is checking the wiring deeper. Any other suggestions.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:24 PM

Problem found after going through the fuses three times. The last method was the best. Pull EVERY fuse out and replace one (only) at a time. The draw was from the fuse that powered the cluster....The cluster is the key problem. Any suggestions? The cluster replacement is a staggering cost.....help quick please

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Advice