Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Vibration in my SL500

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Default Vibration in my SL500

I recently became an owner of a 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow; 33000 miles; and the car had a considerable shake to it that the dealer attributed to flat spots in the tires. He said that this condition would go away but it didn't.

The dealer has done a lot to fix the problem (under warranty) including 4 new tires, force balancing etc. The shake is now gone from the seat and floorboards but I still feel a tickle in the steering wheel.

I am now being told that all SL's do this particularly ones with very low profile tires and that a little steering wheel shake is typical.

Has anyone else experienced this? All comments welcome.

Thanks,
Art
Watchung, NJ

Old 04-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Default RE: Vibration in my SL500

Any car with low-profile tires will have some steering wheel feedback from the road. The lower the sidewalls, the worse the feedback. If it's excessive, there may be other problems, but a "tickle" in just the steering wheel doesn't sound excessive.

Old 04-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

I am surprised that a dealer would be willing to do so much to help i know its under warranty but four new tires there is no way the MB dealer here would do that. Please list the name of the dealer on here. They deserve the praise.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:23 PM

I agree Lugnut. With the low profile (35 and 45 ) tires, even minor road imperfections will tend to transmit a bit of feel to the steering wheel.
But IMHO rythymic or cyclical vibration that changes with the speed of the wheels, shouldn't be there on smooth roads. That is what I am refering to as "tickle" even though the wheels have been force balanced.

Art

Old 04-08-2006, 07:30 PM

The dealer is Benzel-Busch of Englewood, NJ. They have spent quite a bit of time and conscientious effort to address the problem but per above, have not quite resolved it yet.

I don't know what part of the cost is being picked up by MB. I purchased the car there and it has a few days remaining on the original factory 4 year warranty; then the 1 year CPO warranty kicks in.

Art

Old 04-08-2006, 08:29 PM

I don't know. There aren't enough miles on it for anything to be worn out, unless it was used for racing. Was it ever wrecked?

Are the tires Z-rated?

Is the tire pressure set properly?

I've had frustrating tire balancing problems in the past. It's usually because of tires being out-of-round. It's hard to make a perfect tire. Imperfections are exaggerated on low profile, high performance tires. No amount of balancing of any type will fully compensate for the defect. I have a feeling yours is as good as it's going to get with those tires.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

I am inclined to agree with Lug.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:18 PM

I'm just wondering at what speed are you really noticing the vibration?
Thanks,
E

Old 04-08-2006, 10:23 PM

Thanks for all the wisdom guys. Here are more details:

The tires are brand new Dunlop SP9000, Z Rated and set at the proper pressure by the dealer. They have been force balanced by the dealer and the balance has been re-checked.

Part of the problem originally was thought to have been caused by 2 slightly bent wheels. New ones list at over $1000 each so the dealer elected to straighten the existing wheels with equipment he has specifically for that purpose.

I am assuming that the wheels are now round and true and properly balanced, and that the wheels are no longer an issue. Perhaps the problem is related to Wheel bearings, a bent half-shaft ( does this car have them?), the rubber universal, an im-balanced drive shaft, etc.

I love the car but want it right. If I could be certain of the solution I would buy tires or a wheel or whatever it takes. But I don't want to spend $1100 on a set of Michelins on a guess.

All comments and experiences welcome. Help !!

Old 04-08-2006, 11:33 PM

Low-profile Z-rated tires are the worst for feedback. The sidewalls are super stiff.

The way you decribe the problem, it's tire or wheel related. A driveshaft out of balance will vibrate with variations in engine RPM and trans gear, but not with the speed-related rythmn you described.

Could be a wheel bearing, but again, there aren't enough miles on the car to even suspect them. Also, the vibration wouldn't be as consistent as you described. I suppose you can lift the car and check for excessive up and down play of the wheels/tires.

Are the wheels and tires the same size front and back? If they are, have you tried switching front to back to see if there's any difference?

Quick Reply: Vibration in my SL500