Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Transmission slip and limp

Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Default Transmission slip and limp

Two weeks ago my 7-speed transmission slipped out of gear at a stop light. After I waved everybody by, I put the car in Park and back in Drive and all seemed well. When I got home, I searched the Internet for information.

Several days ago this happened again, but this time it only helped for a few blocks before it slipped out of gear again. Then there was a serious clunk and I landed in limp mode (2nd gear). I drove 11 miles on US1 at rush hour at 25 miles an hour. I parked in my garage. One forum suggested that low tranny fluid might be the problem. I ordered a tranny dipstick and fluid which arrived today.

Now I find that my 722.9 transmission has no way to check or add fluid. Without having my SL taken to the dealer, what can I do?

Old 02-05-2017, 10:32 PM

Thanks ForcedInduction, this is apparently true for the 5-speed tranny (722.6) but unfortunately not for the 7-speed (722.9) one. I already bought the MB fluid and a dipstick because I saw the MercedesMedic picture you displayed. I couldn't find the tranny tube shown when viewing my engine and finally realized that 7G transmission fluid cannot be easily checked and can only be added by an injection tube on the pan.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:24 PM

starting around 1999 mercedes seemed to start wanting to make it as hard on a owner as they possibly could. I would question other independent servicers in the area, especially on getting the torque converter cleaned out too. might try doing a search online for a possible youtube how to. might let a small amount of fluid out from the drain plug to look for metal particles in a bright light. I understand around 07 they got better for owner service.?

Last edited by brookings; 02-12-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:05 PM

Mine just happen and search the forum for answer and found this, thanks for the info. According to my shop, my 2007 C 280 does not have trans dip stick or a hidden one, you have to raise the car and fill it up or check level thru 2 plugs by the trans I forgot to take a look at it when they service my trans.

Tony

Old 04-10-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by dmingo
Two weeks ago my 7-speed transmission slipped out of gear at a stop light. After I waved everybody by, I put the car in Park and back in Drive and all seemed well. When I got home, I searched the Internet for information.

Several days ago this happened again, but this time it only helped for a few blocks before it slipped out of gear again. Then there was a serious clunk and I landed in limp mode (2nd gear). I drove 11 miles on US1 at rush hour at 25 miles an hour. I parked in my garage. One forum suggested that low tranny fluid might be the problem. I ordered a tranny dipstick and fluid which arrived today.

Now I find that my 722.9 transmission has no way to check or add fluid. Without having my SL taken to the dealer, what can I do?

I would try to get the codes read; it'll give you a great place to start troubleshooting.

-Dmitry