Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Renntech ECU Upgrade for SL600

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Default Renntech ECU Upgrade for SL600

Has anyone had any experience with re-flashing their ECU? I am particularly interested in experience with the 230 600's. The Renntech software is supposed to increase the HP from 490 to 625 and torque I believe from 590 to 725. Has anyone done this or know anyone who has? I know the engine can handle those power figures with ease but I am concerned about the transmission. That is just so much torque I am worried it just wouldn't hold up. Also Renntech charges $6400 to do this which is just ridiculous for a software upgrade. Does anyone know of any other company out there that reprograms MB ECU's? Any feedback or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Eric

Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Default RE: Renntech ECU Upgrade for SL600

I put the ECUs in myself by following a simple instruction sheet and the main thing I noticed was the HUGE increase in power right off idle. With the stock units if you floor it from a stop it takes a little time to build power. With the reprogrammed units it was a jet, that would set you back in your seat from the acceleration Gs. If you didn't stomp it, it was still docile enough for my wife to casually putt along. I did have some strange behavior after I had the car in to the dealer for a routine repair. So I got a second set of chips to swap them out. I think the idiots at the dealership tried to rest the parameters to stock ( and return the speed limiter) although they denied it, probably to avoid paying for the chips. It passed Cal smog without any problems, but later I put the stock set back to make sure electrical problems I was having were not due to them, as the dealer used that as an excuse for their bad repair work. It's cheaper than having them do machineing on the engine to up performance for 40-50k, and you can return it to stock in half an hour with simple tools you have ( except for torque screwdriver set)