Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Electric windows fault help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Default Electric windows fault help needed.

Hi there I am a new member to the forum and wondered if anyone can solve my problem?
I have a 1994 280 SL. The problem is, last year the battery went flat on me due to lack of use. After a re-charge the windows would not work and in turn the soft top.I took it to the auto electricians and he said he sparked the battery. That gave spasmodic success but eventualy all was well. A couple of weeks ago flat battery again so replaced it, but once again hit and miss with the windows and soft top. Tried disconnecting the battery for a while but no joy. This is a real pain with the UK weather being so unpradictable as you can imagine. Any one out there had the same problem can you please help me? Best regards Ron Haywood.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 AM
Default RE: Electric windows fault help needed.

normally once a battery goes completely dead a couple of times they are usually shot. a low battery may or may not knock out your controller, sometimes you're lucky sometimes not.I'm not sure a low battery caused my problemor not, but my batteries have been dead and replaced a few times. you can't let these cars set for too long before they run down your battery, they always draw power. I tested every other possibilityand my controller will be back friday from BBA-reman. Anyway, my rig's top has been very fussy about when it wanted to work too. finally it quit totally. Turn your key on and short #10 to #1 for three seconds at X11/4diagnostic portnext to the hood open switch. thencount how many times the top switch flashes, those are codes. no flashes will probablymean it's thecontroller. Go to" R129 soft top 'controller' ultimate thread-benzworld.org" on your search engine for all there is to know about these systems. look for anything that is a bobterry post.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Default RE: Electric windows fault help needed.

if the roll bar doesn't work either. just for drill, next time they don't do anything, test for voltage at the wire comingdirectlyoffthe fuse box and not the fuse or screw that attaches the fuse. the fuse can be bad and you couldn't tell by looking at it. that's the bottom fuse in the trunk next to the right hinge and it don't like the other fuses.