Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Dash Odometer lighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Default Dash Odometer lighting

Hello. I have just purchased a 93 SL500 and was aware that it was very difficult to read the odometer and the external temperature on the display in the centre of the dash. This didnt put me off as it seems quite common. The main dash lights are perfect - no probs there - just this central display that is almost impossible to read.

I have tried to search google and this forum but have struggled to really find any info regarding sorting this issue. Is there a known fix besides buying a new cluster (which I wont be doing). Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks - Stuart

Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 PM

there are bulbs in the cluster that can be replaced. if the pixels are out then bulbs wont help. but if you can still slightly see the digits then the bulb is just out behind the digits, cluster actually pulls straight out with the proper tool.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 AM

Many thanks for the reply. Yes all of the pixles are fine as I can just about see the mileage and external temperature if I look at the right angle in the right light. In fact it doesnt look like any pixles are missing so this is good. I have seen the removal tools on ebay for £12 so i will buy a pair of these. I dont suppose you would know which bulbs they are so I can get some ordered in advance?

Thanks again

Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 PM

What are the tools and what is the process of removing the cluster because I too have problems with the light bulbs going out. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 AM

you did do have the lights turned up with small **** coming out of the cluster? if yes, the book says to remove the steering wheel. I just used a couple of heavy clothes hanger wires about 12" long with a 1/2" hook bent at the end and a handle bent in the same direction as the hooks at the other end to get a good hold on it and so you know where the hooks are facing. make sure the wire is hooked, cause if the wire is just bent at a right angle it won't be strong enough. I used a plastic wedge pushed in between the cluster and the dash to create a gap to slip the wire through on each side. this is so you don't scratch the dash when slipping the wire between the dash and the cluster. reach back about 6 more inches with the wire hooks and turn the hooks toward the cluster, catch the back of the cluster and pull firmly straight out. Catch on the ends of the cluster, not top and bottom. Once pulled out, there is enough room to reach behind the cluster and touch the lamps. they are recessed into the cluster and are about a half an inch wide and an eighth of an inch thick where you can get a hold of the lamp. you can't take them out by hand alone, but you can buy a special tool or use an alligator clip to remove the lamps without removing the steering wheel. This is all done by feel. just clip the alligator clip on to the lamp and twist the alligator clip a half turn and presto. be careful not to scratch the steering wheel when cluster is setting on it. there are a couple different lights in the cluster. order the ones you need from a dealer to insure you get the right ones.

Last edited by brookings; 02-16-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 AM

I definitely have the lights turned up using the dash **** as the main dash lights are nice and bright. I have the proper removal tools now so can use these to remove it. I'm not sure which bulbs I need so may well do as you suggest and head down to the dealer to get the correct bulbs. there is a couple of small bits I need so I can check at the same time.

I may remove the wheel for ease although I'm not keen on messing with the airbag. I'll have to check out the proper procedure for removing it.

Thanks for the help so far.