Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

1994 SL500 Drivers Side Sun Visor

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Default 1994 SL500 Drivers Side Sun Visor

Can anyone direct me to a parts website to search for a replacement drivers side sun visor in my 94 SL500. Long story, but it fell off yesterday. I've googled the visor and all I can find are E-Bay websites that don't actually have the part or the wrong year, etc. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:59 PM

for what it's worth. you do have an issue. the ones on ebay are usually ok except for the mirror. trying to find a good used visor is hard, unless the mirror isn't a problem. generally, 90% of issues is the mirror cover breaking because the plastic gets brittle with age, along with a lot of other plastic that will crumble in time. new ones are around $500 if you can still get it. if plastic, be wary of the radiator and thermostat housing inlet. are you sure your visor can't be fixed good enough? what happened, did you try to having it for lunch?

Last edited by brookings; 03-21-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Old 03-30-2016, 08:50 PM

Ha Ha. Thanks for the lead. Actually the top is kind of busted too. It will go half way down, then stops and you have to put it down manually to finish. Putting it up is the same thing. Half way up it stops, then you have to finish manually. I was putting it down and was trying to keep my hand in between the top and the windshield and i accidentally leaned on the visor. It's hell getting old.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 PM

you probably have a bad micro-switch on your top. Where and when exactly does it stop? what is the position of the top cover and the bow (part of the top that has the window)? other than the mirror cover the visor is generally pretty tough. I've had good luck on ebay for other items and the mirrors should work from 1990-2002. make offer. they usually want big bucks for broken parts

Last edited by brookings; 04-01-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:42 AM

I have a 96 SL 500. The visor mirrors are interchangeable. Since my wife likes to look at the mirror with the light and I rarely use the visor (I'm tall), I switched the mirrors when the door on one broke. I don't expect the other door to last much longer but for now, it is happily on the passenger side.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:23 PM
Default 1994 SL500 Drivers Side Sun Visor

When putting the top down the boot will come up, the back window comes up and thats where it stops. I have to turn key off, and use the long hex wrench that came with the key and manually unlock the top at the visor. i then get out of the car while trying to hold the front up so it doesnt fall back down and lock. I slowly push the top down into the car and the bootkind of falls into place. I turn the key back on and it locks itself up as it should. When putting it up, the boot comes up and the top and back window come up, but stop standing almost straight up. I jump out and slowly lower it into the visor. i can then lock it with the switch and everything is fine. one guy who tried working on it, re-did the hydraulics and said it quits reading codes in the middle of the cycle? None of it makes sense to me anyway.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:41 AM

at each point there is a micro-switch/sensor that tells the controller what position the top is in. the bow sensor is on the drivers side bow cylinder and cannot be purchased without the cylinder unless purchased used, it relays a message to the controller that bow is up. it may not be making contact. I'd check that switch for continuity when bow is up. maybe the switch holder is bent. that is one of the hardest to get at. I had to remove trim and storage compartment to access the cylinder and wiring. unplug check with meter. my older 90 sl can check all the switches from the wire harness at the controller in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. I'm not sure after 93. I'm sure I have an old post with what to do. look for some of Bob Terry's old posts too.

Last edited by brookings; 04-26-2016 at 05:35 PM.