Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

1992 SL 500 drivers seat won't move

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Default 1992 SL 500 drivers seat won't move

Hi I've just bought my first MB an SL500 1992 model in great condition here in Dubai. The are a few small issue that I would like to resolve, the first is the front, lol.... Drivers seat won't collapse forward so I can get to the box in the rear (I hate to use the word seat), compartment.
The lever lifts but no apparent mechanical movement thereafter, any ideas?

The second real issue is the spalling or degrading of the heat / insulation material under the bonet, it seems to be in very poor condition and flakes badly under any touch. I really would like to remove and replace this, actually is it noise protection or yea insulation..l.l

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 AM

The seat doesn't move electrically? You can't bring the seat back vertical and move the seat forward to access compartment? if that's the case, the seat module is under the seat. with a test light, see if power getting to the seat module from the seat switch. there should be a couple of long screws at the front of the seat just underneath and on each side, remove and lift firmly. there is a cable at the latch handle that unlocks the seat back. that can pull out of a crimp at the handle itself making too much slack or it can break. you can put it back into place if it's not broken. there are two torque screws at the bottom of the back of the seat to remove the back cushion. You will need to at least tip the seat forward electrically to access those screws. you might be able to get at them with a torque bit in a socket and ratchet if you can't tip the seat forward electrically. Use a hand mirror and a flashlight to see them before you start.
As far as the insulation under the hood. It's common for that to decompose in time and it's not too difficult to replace. it cost about $100, about a quart of contact cement and a paint brush. Get ALL the loose stuff off. Cover your engine compartment before you start.

Last edited by brookings; 12-30-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks Brookings, electronically the seats are fine, the problem is with the mechanical lever not allowing the driver seat to recline forward thus freeing access to the rear storage area. I will give your advice a go and let you know.

I do love this car, it's twenty years old and wonderful. I don't want it to be a cash cow, but needs a little tlc. Thanks agin.

GFB