Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Tell-Tales Signs an S600 was Previously Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Exclamation Tell-Tales Signs an S600 was Previously Tuned

Hi Everyone,

I need to find out how to tell if my 2005 S600 was tuned by the previous Owner.

He was a young Dr. so I figure he would probably be interested and may have acted on it like I am considering. My S600 feels considerably faster than the 2003 S600 my Mom & Dad have.

I need a way to determine if any tune was performed without sending anything via mail. One thing I noted about mine and not about theirs is that mine sort of "surges" while I am off the gas and rolling and also when I am cruising at lower / moderate speeds. At first I thought it sould be a problem of some sort but when I get on the gas, it accelerates at break-neck speeds. I know they are normally fast but it feels unusual compared to the other one. That one seemed super fast until I drove mine.

I don't want to waste $ on the tune if it was already done by the other owner!

Ideas please? Places to look around the engine that would give away a previous tune job? Any of the characteristics listed above sound familiar to anyone?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 PM

you can 1st look at the exhaust and exhaust manifold ....it shouldnt say anything on them. thats usually a cheap and easier way to give a little more HP. it probably not tuned and, also the cars gas pedal and trans can adapt to the way the driver drives it. so if your harder on the gas then your parents are in their car, you car will require less depressing of the pedal to achieve the same acceleration.. its nice and fast..i love the V12s ....also see if the top end is over 155MPH thats a good way to tell if its tuned. it doesnt require much disatnce at all and your there in an instant, so a nice straightaway on the highway is all you need....Oh, and a Valentine1 radar detector. A must!

Last edited by chassis221; 01-31-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM

Well those are some good ideas. I will check. At the risk of sounding like a pus, I might s**t my pants if I got it to 155 or above.

I like the 0-60 or 40-80 acceleration for example. Top speed makes me a little nervous. I am an Insurance Rep so 30+ over the limit means a reckless driving in GA (similar to a busted down DUI). I might lose my job if I went and got caught doing that... Otherwise, I'd be out testing that good idea of Yours right now!!!

Thanks very much for posting a reply. I really appreciate You doing that. If any others pop into mind, please share them also. I think the pipes are original. Do most tunes (like Kleeman, Renntech) include new mufflers?

CHunter32