Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

tech help , ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:58 AM
Default tech help , ideas?

ok , i will try and not miss anything. (might get boring?) so a little over a year ago i bought a 02 s430 , saw this car on a high end car lot, they dont sell ford trucks. the price for the benz was cheap as hell , the car looked and drove good. reason for the cheap price = The car was broke into and the radio was stolen. so i had to replace drivers side window ( it was broke during the theft) reason for this car purchase was due to keep miles off my other car thats a lease. bmw will charge you out the *** if you happen to go over the miles permitted. So i buy this benz that needs a window and a radio (no big deal)

On to the problem on my 02 s430 , i really dont drive the benz too much , so it sits in my garage. last week i had to be in Atlanta so i opt to drive the benz. batt was not dead i started it up and noticed the gear indicator light was not on , it was just a blank screen , i thought no big deal , i then continue to drive down the road and noticed more light coming on abs ,service engine and a few others , im thinking maybe it just needs to be drove. my thoughts were wrong the benz is in limp mode. after some research i replaced the brake switch - diid so and the car was still in limp mode. so i took it to a auto shop that deals with a lot of German cars just for a re-set. after a week im starting to think this shop is not so great. they call me and tell me i have abs problems? also it wont re-set without a new relay. all i wanted was a reset im pretty sure i already fixed what was broke? this shop calls me everyday asking for more money , wtf? i should have just bit the bullet and went to the dealership , i dont think these guys are very good at their job.

sorry if my post doesnt make any sense i was out drinking all night. does anyone have any info for my dilemma?

i did notice when i started the car with my foot on the brake pedal it did something weird , when started it kinda came all the way up? before the car went into limp mode , i would occasionally drive the car short trips to try and keep the battery charged up , during tne of these a yellow light would come on , kinda looks like a yield sign , other then that it drove fine. is there any input out there? i may have forgot to mention anything let me know. the place thats working on my car uses the star computer system. they have had my car for over a week and its still not fixed. any idea's or input you could provide would beneficial.

dang sorry for the long post

Last edited by zerocool; 02-16-2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: long post
Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 PM

Up-date , So the owner of the garage fixing my car said my problems stem from some type of fuse , i think he said its in the trunk. (i really could not understand much of what he was saying? might have been German or from that area. he says they usually dont break and he had to order one. i say cool , whats my bill up to , he says around $600. damn i would say most of that was labor. i just wish i knew what he meant when he said its like a big fuse in the trunk?

Old 02-18-2016, 01:20 PM

Have the dealership check out the issues then go to an independent mechanic to do the labor buy your parts if you want to save money good luck

Old 02-22-2016, 03:13 AM

my car was at a europeon auto shop (i try to avoid the dealer) anyway the guy shows me a small silver plate looking thing and says it was the problem. i say ok get my keys and start old girl up , damn thing is still in limp? they didnt fix my car , i dont know if the part he showed me even came from my car. that place ripped me off. im a bit sick of this car , im gonna sell it for a few k just to get rid of it. that auto shop will be hearing from someone with great importance. what a joke , they charged me $600 , made up a story and that was it. my car was in the same condition when i dropped it off to them. only thing that changed was my wallet. im beyond pisssed. how the f****************! **** is there even a fuseable link in the trunk of a 02 s430? i never noticed this part before.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:17 AM

the problem with the benz sounded like a bad brake switch , so i replace the switch and the problem remained. its in limp mode and all the warning lights are on and flashing , exactly like i had a bad brake switch. after replacing the brake switch i did the turning wheel back and forth , was there anything else i was suppose to do?