Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

SHIMY IN STEERING WHEEL

Old 12-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Default SHIMY IN STEERING WHEEL

I HAVE A 1994 MERCEDESBENZ S320,I HAVE CHANGED THE TIERODS,BALLJOINTS,AND FRONTSHOCKS.I JUST BOUGHT 4 NEW TIRES THAT WAS SHIPPED TO ME ALREADY BALANCED. BUT WHENEVER THE CAR GETS TO ABOUT 50 MILES PER HOUR THE WHEEL WOULD SHIMY. SOMEONE SAID THE BALANCE COULD BE OFF, BUT THIS WAS ALSO HAPPENING TO MY OTHER TIRES AS WELL. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Old 12-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Default RE: SHIMY IN STEERING WHEEL

It was a very common issue with the 92/93/ I thought they had fixed it by 94. I have gone the same route since my 92 was new and the dealer replaced a lot of things including drive shaft, rear end, and upper control arms. I was always using Michelin MXV4 but last year I replaced the motor mounts, lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and steering damper. I also purchased Firestone Turanzas, and had them "road force " balanced on a HUNTER balancer by an expert. This eliminated 90% of the issue, I sometimes get a slight rumbling when they are cold, but it goes away as you drive (mine is at 45mph) the steering wheel shimmy is definately gone!
I have a great relationship with a few MB mechanics and the answer is "its the car" , they did lower the car in 95 and made some suspension changes I think and that made it go away.
Round tires. good suspension, extra fine balancing, one MB dealer balanced them on the car after balancing the tires and wheels but you dont find much of that any more. I had it done a few years ago at a suspension place and it turned out worse.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

rims might also cause it.

static and dynamic.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:45 AM

Mine is doing the same thing now, except mines a '92 600SEL and the wheels starts to shake at 45mph too. So replacing the motor mounts, lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and steering damper will make the problem go away?

Old 12-14-2004, 09:50 AM

There is a possibility that it also may come from the steering gear.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:20 PM

The shimmy went away completely, but there is a slight vibration untill the tires warm up. I have had the vibration since the car was new and after a few different dealership visits they reduced it. The shimmy started at 60Kmiles and went away with the bushings, lower contol arms and sway bar. The motor mounts went bad (one collapsed and they had a hard time changing the filter) I would not change them untill bad. The lower control arm bushings are (hydraulic) and the dealer broke one installing it, and need a special tool. Keep in mind none of this stuff is "cheap", I have questioned the rims and was under the opinion that MB rims ran true.
My last experience with my 01 E wagon has raised some questions, I purchased a brand new tire after getting a sidewall puncture, the weights at the tire store were huge and I wanted a different tire. They rotated the tire on the rim and rebalanced with smaller weights, the tire runs smooth. Of course this was another Michelin, and I got two. I think I will switch to Firestone Tureanza next time (made in Japan) not US, and definately "road force" balance.
That is where they spin the tire and put a roller against it to see if it is round, my tire balancer told be you can balance a brick but it wont be round!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:04 AM

I know I am replying to an old post.... But, after all the issues related to the shimmy I had on my 99, for $20 per wheel I had a set of HubCentric rings put on and wallah the shimmy is completely gone.... I was in the same position of having to go through the replacement of literally all the parts you stated... If you have not had the wheels centered on the hubs you may want to invest in a set...