Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

S600 - electrical problems and knocking noise coming from rear exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Default S600 - electrical problems and knocking noise coming from rear exhaust system

Hi,

Recently purchased a S600 from 1994 with 115.00 miles on it -On the drive home (about120 miles) the battery light came on along with the ABS and AKC lights on the dash board. Most of the electrical systems would not work after that. Radio, air conditioning, windows etc.
Hot air came in through the vents making it very hard to drive the owners manual indicates the charging system has a problem. The battery is very weak. I think I can still start the car but I am not sure for how long.

Ihad a dealer Mercedes Auto Repair shop do acomplete Diagnostic check andit showed thatthe car is charging way to many amps to the battery the guy said that it should be about 14 and it is charging 17 - and the cure is a new voltage regulator (500$)- will it work?

There is also a knocking noise coming out of the rear exhaust system. this could becaused by a leak in the seal inside the engine, the guy at the shop said, correct orwhat could be the problem?

Looking forward to hear you inputs on the problems.

Mads

Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Default RE: S600 - electrical problems and knocking noise coming from rear exhaust system

Ok. We got it.
We will help as we can.
I know a lot about the 1990s series v12 Mercedes.
There are a lot of issues abound on these years of big body/big engine MB cars. I should know as a lot of my wife's and I expendable vehicle funds are sunk/gone into our v12 car (see the signature block). But, overall, these are really fine automobiles, with a mix of factory and aftermarket support issues.
I suggest,
-engine area wiring harness check, a real technical check of this critical component.
-consider a rebuilt alternator and a new battery as a start point, after all of the connections on this important circuit have been checked.
-pull out and check the up to seven computer modules out of their bay connects and ensure all of the computer module bay connects are clean and dry and no corrosion anywhere.
-clear every error code presented, then do it again three or more times.

these cars are survivable in these issues, but need tender care.
Bill Mercer

Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Default RE: S600 - electrical problems and knocking noise coming from rear exhaust system

Hi,

Alternator output should be a lot more than 17 AMPS. However I suspect you meant VOLTS.

Yes, 17 volts IS high and if correct will over time fry your battery and blow your bulbs. However some circuits (computer modules) on the car have OVER VOLTAGE protection and turn OFF if overvoltage is present hence some of your systems going OFFLINE.

Your voltage regulator would appear to be defective. The V12 emits a lot of heat!!

wrt the knocking boise from the rear you need to be a bit more specific as to exactly where the noise is coming from. The bad news is that IF it turns out to be from a catalyst (usually in the centre of the car and most noticeable when cold) this is a real expensive problem. The packing that holds the cats gets "blown away" and the ceramic monolith bounces around in the can. As the problem progresses it can block the exhaust.

My solution to this problem is to open the can and remove the block BUT the cat is there for a reason and dependent upon market legislation an effective cat MAY BE needed in order to meet annual vehicle emmission checks. These usually tend to be less severe than NEW VEHICLE emmission requirements as is the case in the UK.

Hope i haven't put you off your "new" motor. I think Bill has hit it on the head. Lovely robust motor but in need of a load of TLC and a good bank balance.

Stuart.