Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Knocking and bad wineing noise 230

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Default Knocking and bad wineing noise 230

Knocking and wineing noise on my 230 convertible 2001, It almost sounds like the propshaft is hitting the under of the car and sounds like a wheel bearing.I no it is not ever of these i only get the noise when i am slowing down or let go of the throttle!I have changed the rubber donought where the gearbox meets the propshaft! changed rear diff oil!It has been to 3 garages and they cant find the problem. every thing seems to look fine and feels fine but the moment i drive it i get this problem it almost feels like something is going to fool off whilst driving. anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Default RE: Knocking and bad wineing noise 230

Hi. I have a CLK 230K.
Not sure if you still need help, but about8 mths ago, I started noticing a "clunking" noise. Like yourself, I couldn't work out if it was occuring when accelerating, braking, steering left, right etc.. Everything looked ok from outside.
But when changed discs at the rear, I noticed that one of the springs had snapped right at the bottom and the noise was the broken peice of spring being sat on by the rest of the spring. A friend of mine is quite clued up on Mercedes and he says that this is not particularly uncommon and can even happen in extreme cold.
Can you determine roughly where the noise is coming from? If so, I may be wrong. If you can't, then it might be worth having a quick look.