Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

HELP (SLEEPWALKER) MY W126 WONT START!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Default HELP (SLEEPWALKER) MY W126 WONT START!

1984 500sel with bosch mechanical fuel injection.

so it already didnt idle right, and the rear fuel line was cracked and had a slight leak, but it always started and if i was driving it i could always keep it running.

i lent the car to a friend so he could test drive it for a couple of days. he called me and said he ran it out of gas, but when he put more gas in it wouldnt start. i thought he just didnt know all of the little tricks and i could go pop it over on the first try, but i was wrong.

it turns over strong, but thats all it does, no sputter, nothing like its trying to actually start or run. it sounds to me like either it has no spark or no fuel. im going over in the morning to check for bothe when i can see it.

then i remembered that one time when i ran my diesel out of fuel i had to crack all lines open at the top of the fuel pump and let all the air purge out until it was gushing diesel at me before it would start again. as i see it, the bosch mechanical fuel injection system is similar to a diesel injection system, do i perhaps have to crack all the lines open on top of the fuel distributor and bleed them out?

has anyone had this problem after the car ran out of gas who can help me?

Old 05-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HELP (SLEEPWALKER) MY W126 WONT START!

can you remove at least two spark plugs abd see if it's dry or wet?

dry... no fuel at all.

wet... flooded. needs to crank for longer time with fuel pump disabled.

it can't be the ignition since it was running fine till he run out of gas.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:30 PM

spark plugs are dry. also, i loosened the lines at the top of the fuel distributor, no gas there either. i just replaced the fuel pump two weeks ago, could this be somehow related? i checked and all the connections are still tight on the pump.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

then you got fuel problem.

check if there is a good supply of voltage to the fuel pump terminals while cranking the engine.

if no voltage >>>> make jumper to the fuel pump relay to activate the fuel pump.

if have voltage >>>> faulty fuel pump. (or restricted fuel filter).

Old 05-13-2006, 06:31 PM

simple way to tell if you have fuel pressure is to remove the air filter housing there is a round plate push it down. is there resistance does it push back up at you if so you have fuel pressure. next if you dont have fuel pressure have somebody crank the car overlay down on the ground with a happer/mallet (fuel pump is located on the right rear of car behind the tire and lower control arm) first feel if the pump is running while sombody is cranking you should hear a buzzing noise if not hit the fuel pump with a hammer if it starts you need a fuel pump if not jump the fuel pump relay two middle pins if it starts then you need a fuel pump realy and a fuel pump.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:30 PM

thanks. the fuel pump should damn well be good, i just installed it two weeks ago, brand new bosch parts.

i would appreciate an underhood fuse/relay box diagram for my car if anyone has it. it isnt printed on the cover of mine, and i can find one in any of the owner's manuals.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:56 PM

check to see if the fuel pump is running you will here it when power is applied to it. if its not running when power is applied then the new fuel pump is defective. if it is running check to see if your getting fuel pressure at the fuel distrubitor its located on the top of the motor under the air filter housing. if your getting fuel pressure then you have another problem.

next step are you getting spark remove a plug wire end and put a screw driver into where the spark plug would set and put the other end of the screw driver to a good ground if your getting spark you may have a timing chain that has jumped.

if you have spark perform compression test.

in no spark you may have a bad coil, crankshaft position sensor or a bad ezl hope its not a ezl they cost more than your car is worth

do a little more diagnosis and get back with me

Old 05-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

whatever...

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/D553CFA10FA54383916BE7723C6D8BA3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/90A6EECDBC374BB398FBB09040D5B01C.jpg[/IMG]