Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

door module/ suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Default door module/ suspension

Hello i need help with my 2000 s430 just purchased it. smooth ride n i love the luxury. theproblems are the driver side window,seat and mirror button doesnt work so i cant roll none of my windows down are adjust the mirrors are move the drivers side seat. next the right hand side backsuspension is lower then the left side when in park. when i turn the car on and hit the air lift swich it risesand the car is even all around. i need help ...thank u so much....

Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Default RE: door module/ suspension

Hi,
Welcome to forum.
Your w220 has a number of problems and the nature of the electrical circuits on your car make it less than straight forward to correct issues.
w220 uses digital control for many features such as seat, mirror and general switch gear.
Of course everything is repairable but there isn't a simple copver all answer.
Firstly ensure that all the fuses in the boxes under the hood are good (using a multimeter to ensure continuity rather than just looking for a blown link).

I suggest that your air suspension is the most important issue to fix first.

The "Raise" button on the fascia raises the car to fully up and possibly takes the height sensors out of the system. The fact that this is working correctly eliminates many potential issues.
Does the car come up to the correct height with the "Raise" button OFF but with the engine running for a few minutes?
If not, and it is just one corner that is low it is likely that the height sensor which attaches to the front? strut that has become detached/broken.
The fact that you do not have a "Visit workshop" warning suggests that the height sensor circuit remains electrically OK and that the car in general is not "too" low albeit down on one corner.

Suggest you read my previous posts on this subject to get a general appreciation of how the system works and then cpme back with a more precice question on this and your other issues.

Stuart

Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 AM

thank stuart for the info. I pick the car up from the dealer on the 30th of oct. thats the next time i will have off from work then i can give more full details on the suspension...

Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM

i know that the passenger window rolls down and the seat adjust fine when i was sitting in the passenges seat.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 PM

OK,
The windows operate OK from other switches.
The passenger RH seat works OK
So problem would appear to be with the switch gear on the drivers LH side.

Now IF it were just the seat and mirror I would suggest the likely culprit as being the integrated seat switch which IMHO doesn't like getting wet. Door left open in a shower? HOWEVER since the window control is entirely separate and all 4 windows refuse to work from the central switch gear it appears that the CAN (digital highway) that connects ALL components on the door to the vehicle central network is inoperative / shorted.

Now this is where it gets more difficult. All depends on how competent you are in for instance taking the door pad off and finding the X connector located under the carpet adjacent to the seat base on the LH side of the car. These are difficult to explain but to somebody with the appropriate competence we need to understand IF the CAN is shorted by disconnecting various components attached to it.

My gut reaction is that the seat / mirror switch has gone bad and is shorting the CAN which has knocked out the window switch gear but without quite a lot of checks with a multimeter etc it is difficult to point you to the source of the problem. The problem COULD be anywhere on the car. However if you remove the trim pad (you start by prising off the (imitation) wood strip to reveal the hidden screws. The rest of the process is as on any other car (hidden button clips etc) If you get the panel off disconnect the wires to the seat / mirror switch or at least the plugs carrying the green / white twisted? CAN wires and see if the window switches start working again.

The usual procedure is to get the dealer to do a "quick check" using SDS Star Diagnostics which will identify if there is a corruption on the CAN. Such a test is usually chargeable since it takes 15 / 30 mins to do BUT it is the first step unless you are a real DIYourselfer.

If you are just taking delivery get them to do this before you collect the car.

Why are you accepting a car with these known problems?

Stuart

Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 AM

Hello good morning stuart thank you once again. the reason i bought the car as is because i got it from an repo auction for a steal. I got it at the dealers cost, the dealerhelped me getthe s430 athis cost plus a small fee for taking me. For what i payed i couldnt let the deal past me up. Im going 2 copy all the info you give me and take it to a guy who use to work for mercedes. I dont know the guy but i was told he was very good. and thank once again stuart for your expertise. We need guys like you in this world who dont mind helping out people who are not to informed with things...