Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

COld start valve notes part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default COld start valve notes part 2

Alright I finally gotten around to testing the cold start valve in the Silver Panzer. Symptoms is hard starting when cold and or when sitting for periods of time between short drives. Warm starts right up no problem.

Disconnected the cold start valve, firts hint, made no difference to cold start. Reconnected cold start valve, unscrewed it from it's place (two 6mm hex bolts) and placed it in cup. Turned engine over nothing came out. Eventually car started like it does and can be restarted.

Didnt jump the plug to see if it's getting electricy yet.
Now if I'm not mistaken, the cold start valve is told what to do by the coolant temp switch, which is a cheap part. Not sure if it's bad on my car or not but it's so cheap I bought it anyways. But I think that part is suspect since my high temp fans runs all the time, meaning the car is in default mode for that part and the cold start valve will not get it's signal and the fans will not get the signal to turn off. Also picked up a water temperature sender too, for the hell of it as all this is boiling down to the main goal; Air condition. Without the coolant temp switch, the car will assume it's hot and cut the compressor and turn on the fans. Once this is sorted I can do the easy stuff, new ac drier/reciever and associated switches, and pop the compressor I have here ina box on and then the Silver Panzer will be done. Then on to refinishing and or replaceing the cracked finish wood.

More to come, the parts should arrive in a few days. I will pop on the Coolant temp switc first and see if the cold start valve kicks in. Usually I hear of these things leaking constantly more than not leaking a single drop and being bone dr like mine is, but I aint complaining.

I think I'm very close to ending te hard starting problem that is more of a mere annoyance than actual concern. Plus I hate making the starter work hard. It's a Mercedes starter and should live a life of luxury.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

oh on a side note, all functions are normal.

The temp guage works when it should and stops when unplugged (black single prong connector on the thermostat housing.)

The car idles fine once it's started.

Temp stays around 80C or so and stays there all day and confimed with laser thermo temp taken from various points.

No smoke no roughness. (friend didnt know the car was running and he was standing right next to it by the passenger window. Go figure.)

But there is this slightly annoying high pitch noise that comes and goes which I narrowed it down to a pulley. Alt bushing are good (well the alt is practicaly a recent addition.) Might be power steering pump pulley or something. It tends to lessen after the car is warm. But cold it comes, it goes, it comes and goes while idle. No sound when accelerating nor decellerating. Will check belts just to make sure and check each pulley until it is found. It's not too loud but I can hear it.