Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

The cold brings a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Default The cold brings a problem

alright, the 1988 W126 is about 26 years old, and it's remarkable that most of the components that are major are still holding up. Cars half that age are junk or near it.
But... there are a few issues as of late.

The window motor finally gave up ghost on the passenger side. This is one of those times I miss that little access panle on the BMW to roll the window up manually. About an 1 hour job in and out. Did so many of these in other MBZs that I probably can do it less but I must have my lemonade break.

The problem that I will tackle next though and have high priority is the issue when it's cold. The car been starting up fine and sometimes a little longer to start but the first couple of times it idles fora few seconds and then rpms slowly drop till there is not enough revolutions to support the electrical components then it just quit. After a few tries, it runs like nothing happens. On the road, it runs like a mad man so i know it isnt the injectors, fuel pumps, filter or none of that as that stuff has been recently replaced anyways. The pumps tend to leak in my experience before they have a chance to kick bucket and of course the filter is replaced because it's cheap and easy to get to when the pumps are being replaced. And mind you it only happens in the morning first start. After an 8 hour day, no problem but it idles a little rough but it was doing that before and I've tracked down that issue. No ABS light or the likes, relatively new dis. rotor and cap, plugs (copper) and wires and I know fuel gets to the engine as had a underhood hose bust and it was squirting up a storm but havent measured at fuel distib.

I'll probably start with inspecting the MAF/ throttle plate first as if it's in it's "going to stall" stage and I try to drive off, it hesistates as if fuel starved for a few seconds then take off like a bat out of hell. (I didnt realize a 420SEL could move that fast when you step into it.). Which feels like there is fuel, but when the plate is opened suddently, there is not enough for those seconds to support the extra air that is going in until the cpu catches up. Also it could be the throttle position sensor which isnt unheard of since it is the original one. Usually they trip the CEL but not always.

Any other thoughts and theories are welcomed.
Since I havent posted anything about the 420 in a while, might as well say what's up.
Will get to it though as soon as this coolant hose for the BMW gets in so I can drive that while I get my tinker on without feeling rushed with having to have the car ready so I can get to work, to support the car tinkering addiction *cough* ahem, I mean habit