Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Center Muffler myths

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default Center Muffler myths

Allright, I've looked everywhere for information or examples of removing the center mufflers from the W126. I found nothing useful.

What I did find was many people fear that removing the center resonators and replacing them with "straight pipe" will cause issues and vibrations. That logic would make sense when looking on paper especially since just about everything built on the W126 had a specific purpose and when that part fails, you'll know it. Now going back to the past, my beloved 560SEL had all stock resonators. Towards the end of it's life, there started to be slight problem with rust holes around the portion where the pipe connects to the resonsators. Most of those patches were fixed and during those times I did ponder ridding of the resonators all together but my good German Mechanic in Germany advised against it since it was pennies to patch up the holes since they was small and was not directly on the resonators. Unfortunately the 560SEL met it's end in Germany, 2 hours from the plant it was born in 1989. I couldnt stay away from te W126 and got a 88 420SEL soon after I arrived back i nthe states. 132,000 miles and running good. Now after taking a peek under the carriage I noticed something amiss. The 420 didnt have it's stock twin resonators but instead it was replaced with two straight pipes that swelled in the middle a bit (aka Cigar Pipe shaped). Now if I didnt actually take a look, I would have never know the difference. So in result, it safe to say that removal of the resonators will cause adverse vibrations in itself. Yet, I'm sure the shape of the replacement pipe might had somethign to do with it or not, but there is no difference. Looks funny though with that open space though under there but no driveability problems.
Anyone else have any experiences with this type of work?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Smile Center muffler (Resonator)

When mine became toast on my 91' 420 SEL, I removed them and installed straight pipes to reduce restriction. Had a slight difference in tone. Not too bad but, just not right, and, nerdy for a boulevard barge. Installed two glass pack Cherry Bomb mufflers. Straight through no restriction. Sound back to normal. Noticeable improvment in pick-up from a "Hole shot".
A SWAG but, maybe the larger sections of pipe you see maybe "glass packs". They look just like a fat piece of pipe.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

probably as I'm sure they are made to be fatter for a reason.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:39 PM

you will have no issue with replacing them. they are there to keep engine noise in the cabin down. if you take them out you will have more engine noise in the car and the exhaust of the car will be slightly louder