Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Accelerator sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Default Accelerator sensor

I am new at this. I just purchased a 2001 S430-4 days ago and have driven it approx 500 miles since. Today on a busy L.A. frreeway, I took an exit and experienced practically no accelerator action-hardly any power was coming from the engine. I managed to hobble to the curb and attempted racing the engine-nothing happened. There were no indicators on the instrument display. The accelerator pedal was pressed to the floor-no engine response. Luckily I called a friend who gave me his MB me his MB mechanic's # who said it was probably a worn accelerator sensor and to turn the engine "off" , remove the key and re-insert. I did that and everything worked fine. He recommended service of course. This could have been a dangerous situation while on the freeway. It was scary driving home, anticipating that this would occur again-it did not. The car is going into service ASAP. the odometer reads 70500. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Donforbenz
I am new at this. I just purchased a 2001 S430-4 days ago and have driven it approx 500 miles since. Today on a busy L.A. frreeway, I took an exit and experienced practically no accelerator action-hardly any power was coming from the engine. I managed to hobble to the curb and attempted racing the engine-nothing happened. There were no indicators on the instrument display. The accelerator pedal was pressed to the floor-no engine response. Luckily I called a friend who gave me his MB me his MB mechanic's # who said it was probably a worn accelerator sensor and to turn the engine "off" , remove the key and re-insert. I did that and everything worked fine. He recommended service of course. This could have been a dangerous situation while on the freeway. It was scary driving home, anticipating that this would occur again-it did not. The car is going into service ASAP. the odometer reads 70500. Any ideas? Thanks.
most likely you will need a new gas pedal, the sensor is in the pedal. If you stomp the accelerator pedal hard and fast, Itll happen again.