Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

89' 560 sel

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Default 89' 560 sel

Hi, my parents just bought me a 89 560 sel for my first car and i like the old fashion class and luxury but am looking to change a bit i was wondering if any one would know the approx cost to tint the windows lower it about an inch get whited out blinker lights paint it white and all new chrome molding and decals, thanks

Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Default RE: 89' 560 sel

Merry Christmas. I was 20 when I bought my first Mercedes. I was in Germany and I bought a '56 220 S. It was a dark, teal green, with cloth, grey upholstery. It had a soft sunroof that opened the whole roof, even over the back seats. The whole dash was wood, as well as wood on all four door window frames. They had built in ashtrays into the frames in the back. I restored the wood in this car which took me 6 months to do.

My recommendation is that you restore the car to its original condition. Does your car look as if it could use some refreshening ? For some reason, whenever I restore a car everything is replaced as original. Mercedes cars have very close technical tolerances so be sure you have professional advise so the ride, or leveling systems are not compromised. The white blinker lights will make the car look out of place. What color is the car now ? White will show leaks if the car was originally red, for instance. And, for the paint job to look classy you will have to pay. Tinting is good. Do you live in the South ?

I have a '90 300 SEL. It's Lapis Blue Metallic, with Camel leather interior. I probably will have it tinted since it gets very hot here in Houston. My car has 105, 000 miles and was well cared for. I bought it a year ago and it had one prior owner. Cosmetically, it looks great. The leather is not ripped or faded. It seems it was garaged and serviced exclusively at Star Motor Cars, in Dallas. The only unsightly issue is the opening where the seat belts attach to the side by the window. The trim vinyl comes apart and I would like to find a fix. I've not addressed this yet. The wood has a few, small cracks, but still looks nice. I try to keep a good wood wax on the wood. What product are people out there using ?

My thought: refresh, refurbish, restore your car. Then sell it and buy a white, new model that has the equipment and appearance you like.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 89' 560 sel

Most people are quick to say but a new one but remember, you have a car from Mercedes heyday and they don't make em like that anymore. If you really like that body style and want to customize it...

Tints: cost around $200 for all windows with a nice deep dark tint. Maybe less for a lighter tint.

Loweringepends on who is doing it. And becareful with suspension work on that 560SEL. It has very expensive suspension parts on the rear and improper tampering could cost you over a few thousand to repair.

Paint job: Depends on quality, place, and sometimes the original color of your car. If it's a dark color such as black or dark blue, it will cost a little more because it takes more work and it's harder to make it look right. No matter what, for that Mercedes quality fit and finish with or without pinstripe, will cost you a couple of pretty pennies.

New Chrome moldings/decals.: Easy and but I don't know the price range.

White Blinker lights cost around $25-35 a piece usually. I've seen some that looks good on the car and some that don't. It's best to get the Euro lights with it but that's just my opinion.

Me I bought my first 1989 Mercedes 560SEL just after I turned 21. It was hard to find and one is on sale every blue moon in Missouri. The only problem is that it's been hard even thinking about buying a new car. I've test drove almost everything from the 1995-2001 BMW 740iLs, 2001-2004 Cadillac Devilles, and other luxury cars but none of them beats out the 1989 560SEL in terms of comfort, ride smoothness, quietness, style. Every car maker seems to gone sports car imatation now and days. Stiff suspension, road/wind noise, steering wheel rattle, loud engine.
They don't make em like they used to.

Now as for as houston300SEL vinyl: it's a common problem in the W126. Mine was coming a loose also when I bought it. I just carefully glued it back in place until I come up with a better solution. I might just keep it like that since it looks repaired.
On the wood I just go over it with a cloth to remove any surface dust and then I just use something simple such as Old English like I use on expensive dining room furniture and the likes. The 560SEL I bought was well taken care of before I bought it and the wood was perfect and still is perfect and shining like new.

Note: Please keep the interiors of your W126s in the best shape possible because that is the most expensive areas to restore. Talk about high class leather.