Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

560 SEL Radio Help, Please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Question 560 SEL Radio Help, Please?

Hi Everyone:

I'm new here, although I was a member of a great Mercedes board several years ago, but my old computer suffered an irrepairable head crash and I lost everything, so this board could be the same board (I did have to create a new account here though).

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having with my 1990 560 SEL Mercedes Benz radio.

Everything was running well, until recently. I turned on the radio and all I got was static. The anntenea (SP) does go up and down, but I'm only getting static, no other sound, on both AM and FM stations. The cassette player plays fine. Any suggestions on how to repair this myself? I'm so afraid that if I take it to the dealer, they will try and talk me into upgrading my stereo system and that is not what I want.

I LOVE my car. I bought her about 10 years ago, second hand, and I've never looked back.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,

June

PS this is an off the post question. Does anyone have any opinions regarding Avantis? My dad is selling his 1967 Avanti and he loves my Benz, but I'm thinking it's not a good idea to offer a trade.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

well when this happened to my old 560, I found out it was the wire that lead from the antennae to the sound system that was shorted out. It was coming apart at the point the wire lead from the antannae black box and frayed right near the metal connector that plugged into the back of the radio. The quote was pretty cheap to fix but I didnt bother fixing it as I didnt pick up German radio stations anyways and Missouri radio sucked for my taste.

Ironically the anntenae on my 420 does not go up or down but the radio stations come in nice and clear and at the proper range.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:25 AM

Hi BlackWolf:

Thank you so much for addressing my posting issues with the radio.

I think I have a Pioneer radio and I bought the car that way. As I mentioned before, the antenna gear was replaced once and it worked, but one day, years later the radio was only picking up static on both AM and FM radios.

So, if I pulled the radio out, I could potentially find a black box behind it that is connected to the antenna and that might fix the radio problem?

The radio has an antitheft device that needs a code to make it work if it was stolen. I also have a built in radar detector that works well even though it's old. I'm telling you, I don't think I'll ever get rid of the car because I love it so much. I'll give the radio thing a try and see what happens. Thanks so very much for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

Oh, did you have a mechanic try and change your whole cooling system? I had a mechanic say I needed a new enviromentally safe system, but then a year later it was OK, but some air flow device needed to be repaired. It's running well now, just the radio doesn't work. I still get lots of longing looks when I'm in the beautiful car and several offers for it.

June

Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

never had a mechanic try and change the whole cooling system as this system is pretty strudy and easy to maintain with regular normal flushings and the yellow coolant. That thing chould be replaced by parts as they fail or get very old.

Now if you mean cooling system as in AC then some mechanics will say that because they dont want to bother trying to find a leak assuming there is one and can make some good money off ya. And sounds like that mechanic is trying to talk you into a conversion to R-134 from the r-12 system. There are some people that done it and says that it ok and some wish they never done it. Either way after doing my own research into AC components of r-12 and r-134 from 1970s-present, most of the time replacing thw whole entire system is very uneccesary. Usually the problem is that the oils dont mix so if the compressor is not to be replaced, then a very good flus is in order. Another issue is that even a good sealed up R-12 system can leak R-134a because of the molecule size. Also it's almost standard procedure to replace the drier though. Keep in mind that the r-12 system is designed for r-12 to run at top. Some people also get bigger condensor to compensate and a few find a bigger compressor. The original one for r-12 tends to work for a while but usually end up going down the tube after a while a year or so, depending on the condition as there are too many varibles to pin point the cause of a compressor failure after a conversion. Maybe it was already on it;s way out the door maybe not. If you can and all systems are working fine, might as well stick with the R-12. It will cost a little more for recharcge but in the end for a good proper conversion the costs of savings is not much until way later down the road. If the system is leaking badly or the compressor is kaputz, then might as well convert if you wish to do so. It all come down to personal choice to convert or not. R-134 conversion tend to not blow as cold as r-12 but usually cold enough. But a conversion is not a need persay as whether it's r-12 or r-134 neither one is "environmental safe" R-134 is just "safer".
Now that air pump thing that is mentioned could be the little air pump thing the mechanic is talking about could be the air pump for the suspension, which I havent heard many of those things going out unless suspension oil starved for months at a time. or the air pump that is belt driven for smog control. But neither one of those have anything to do with a cooling system, unless as in air flow he means something like the fan clutch, aux fans or the likes. then yeah those things should be repaired as fast as possible.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Thumbs up

Hi Blackwolf:

YES, that's exactly what the mechanic wanted to do.

I just waited it out and took it back in one year later and they found something else wrong and they never brought up the conversion again. I was confused because how can the air conditioning problem magically change from a conversion to something more simple? What ever the reason, all its well now with the air conditioning.

My radio is a different problem. It's a Pioneer brand radio in the car. I bought the car with the replacement radio in it. When I have time, I'll take it out and check the wiring as you suggested.

Thank you so much for all of your help. I'm learning a lot from this site and I've gotten really great advice. I even turned a friend on to the board!

June

Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Talking

Hi Everyone:

I'm sorry I've been gone for a little while. Been busy, as is everyone else these days.

No new news on getting my radio started, HOWEVER, I received my new insurance cards for my cars, so I went to my Mercedes to put the card in the car and I pulled out the radio info! Guess what???? IT'S THE ORIGINAL RADIO THAT CAME WITH THE CAR!!

There isn't a name brand on it execept Mercedes Benz, a serial number, a code number and a model number on the operation guide.

I also have big old block style phone in it, which I've never hooked up.

Gee, I have all the original stuff in it. I'm so happy.

June

PS Will let you know how the radio repair goes :-)