Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

500 sel alarm stays on

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Default 500 sel alarm stays on

I put this in the 'general tech' area too.

I have an 85 500 SEL. The alarm would go off sometimes, even if I unlocked it with the correct key (and even if I didn't use that key to lock it, which the owner's manual says will not set the alarm). Now the alarm goes off whenever it feels like it, even when driving. I have searched, and found info about modules in the passenger floor compartment. I have a small silver module at the front with one small plug, and a much larger module on the right (says 'jetronic') with a much larger plug. Everything I've read says there should be a black module with two plugs.

Any advice on how to disconned/diable the alarm would be greatly appreciated. I live in a small town with no MB dealer. Local shop says they need it for several days and the alarm cannot be disconnected or bypassed.

Attached Thumbnails 500 sel alarm stays on-img_1277.jpg   500 sel alarm stays on-img_1278.jpg  
Old 09-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

alarm cant be disabled or bypass is a bunch of hog wash. If a mechanic just dotn now, why do they act like it will kill them to simply say, "i dotn have a clue" instead of feeding some hog wash. Any alarm can be bypassed or disconnected.

The easy way to temporary solve your problem is the fuse. The alarm has fuses on the 88 the fuses are two 16amp fuses in a box next to the main fuse box. One is for the noise and alarm it self, the second is for the light flashers and stuff. Pull these out an disables alarm.

Another way is to just unplug the alarm brain, passenger side floor panel. If you disconnect that, it woks too. It should be a......black box.

and if the alarm goes off while driving, and the engine still running this means it'sa simple OEM alarm system and there is no kill switch. Now, if the engien will not start, as some after market systems do when the alarm is disables, then it gets more technical but not inmpossible to get around and yes, then and only then would a repair shop need your car for more than 2 hours with lunch included. To solve the actual problem permanent and keep your alarm might take a few days too.

Jetronic, silver module. hmmm. Usually jetronic is the fuel injection system.You unplug that and your car probably wont run. The alarm module should be under the passenger foot well carpet and plastic cover. and probably wont say jetronic.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

oops the pics aint load until after the reply. I see what you mean. That aint no alarm module that I've ever seen. That looks like something that should be under the hood and not in the footwell and that is omething that you dont want to unplug if I'm not mistaken. I'ma see if I can find out exactly what that bo is in the mean time.

and one more thing. What usually cause the alarm system to go nuts is the switch in the door lock mechanism.

Last edited by BlackWolf; 09-19-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:25 PM

good info.... thanks for sharing.

rockerfella174