Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

3 Codes at one time '00 S500

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Default 3 Codes at one time '00 S500

I was leaving work the other day tired as heck after putting 10.5 and started my car a 3 codes popped up on my dash....the B.A.S., Airmatic and something else i cant remembered cause i almost fainted! I cut the car off...cussing to myself turned it back on and they were still there. I got out..looked all around the car...everything looked ok....thought to myself here we go...backed up and put it in drive and the codes were gone......so now im like what the hell. Now the parking garage were we have to park is on a slight incline/tilt. Do you thing the car "setteling" while im at work have something to do with this?

Ohhhhh te other code was E.S.P.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Default RE: 3 Codes at one time '00 S500

Yep,

Car settling while at work.

Basically the ride height was not correct and this causes various systems to trip out for safety reasons.
The airmatic pump (RHS under fender) comes on when the car is low and ignition on and puts air into the system. This takes a few moments dependent upon how low.

The "low" condition could indeed be influenced by parking on a hill. (Front end down the hill by any chance?)

The real question is why the car was low. The airmatic does loose air over time (design limits on how much over time) and this is why a pump is installed. However under "normal" conditions you shouldn't experience the problem that you did unless the car is left fpr several days.

It therefore indicates the onset of a potential problem such as an ineffective pump (what mileage has the car done?) or front strut top mount cracking which is quite common on V8 + high ambient temps due to temp issues.

Does the "wade" button on the dash work correctly? When you press it does it say "vehicle rising" and does the car rise?

If so don't worry about this problem until the frequency of the problem reaches a point where it becomes a nuisance. The end game is a car that can't get off the bump stops (big problem because you can't drive the car) but you usually get loads of warning before any leak gets this bad.

Stuart.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Default RE: 3 Codes at one time '00 S500

yea..it only happens when i park on a incline (so far the back end is lower then the front) and the rise button works as of yesterday...i was pushing it just to see..i saw and felt the car rise..the it lowered back to its original hight after about 10 secs. but yes this ONLY happens when i park on inclines...thanks foe the info...i have a few other things to check too...ie battery too weak from others with such advise.